Is it 2ppm or 4ppm? Cycling question

airia

It was my understanding when I add 2ppm of ammonia if the ammonia and nitrites read 0 after 24 hours the tank is fully cycled, but now someone is telling me no it's supposed to be 4ppm?

Dunk2

It was my understanding when I add 2ppm of ammonia if the ammonia and nitrites read 0 after 24 hours the tank is fully cycled, but now someone is telling me no it's supposed to be 4ppm?
Both tanks would be fully cycled, but the tank dosed to 4 ppm would be cycled to handle a higher bio load.

2 ppm should be fine for most tanks. What size is your tank and how long have you been dosing ammonia?

airia

Both tanks would be fully cycled, but the tank dosed to 4 ppm would be cycled to handle a higher bio load.

2 ppm should be fine for most tanks. What size is your tank and how long have you been dosing ammonia?
10 gallon and I've been cycling for almost 6 weeks. It's now reading 0 after 24 hours.of.doing for both

Dunk2

10 gallon and I've been cycling for almost 6 weeks. It's now reading 0 after 24 hours.of.doing for both
You should be good to go. 4 ppm would be unnecessary for a 10 gallon tank.

Good luck!

airia

You should be good to go. 4 ppm would be unnecessary for a 10 gallon tank.

Good luck!
Thank you so much!!! This has been a long awaited day

Dunk2

Thank you so much!!! This has been a long awaited day
You’re welcome. I’d suggest you continue testing your parameters daily for a week or so after stocking.

Azedenkae

It just depends on the nitrification capacity you ultimately want.

1ppm is enough for standard tanks, even with a good amount of feeding.

2ppm is for very heavily stocked tank, usually cichlid tanks.

4ppm is where is just that extra amount of nitrification capacity (from the getgo) to handle spikes and all that that can be caused by deaths and stuff.

Generally I find 2ppm is enough.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Rilo
Replies
Views
AngelsAndDemons
Replies