Is iron and liquid Co2 necessary/effective?

IzabelB

I dont plan to have any red plants so would iron be beneficial in any way? If so what are the best brands.

Is liquid Co2 effective and how does it work, if it is which brands are best?

TIA.

Bruinfishkeeper1

I like Fluval Gro+ Micronutrient fertilizer because it has a really good iron content and potassium content.

IMO liquid co2 is half a gimic half kind of works. It works for different people and different scenarios

In no way shape or form does it replace co2 (since there is not true liquid form of co2). A lot of people say that Flourish Excel can kill algae, but that is only true in some cases. Its not really bioavailable carbon more of just an algae killer. Also some plants might react weird to some liquid co2 fertilizers so i would be careful. Overall i like diy co2 injections the best.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Iron is necessary for all plants, regardless whether a red plant or not. The addition of iron depends on how much is in your water already. If your tap has enough iron you can leave it be.

Liquid CO2 is a nice idea in principle but all manufacturers still have not given sufficient proof that their products work and independent tests have at best been inconclusive. Many liquid CO2 products contain (or after recent mixture changes switched to similar substances) Glutaraldehyde. That stuff is known to be a quite effective algaecide so most people who bought liquid CO2 products are actually after that effect and not the intended use.

Also there is never a general "best". Only "best for your demands".

Upvote 0

IzabelB

Iron is necessary for all plants, regardless whether a red plant or not. The addition of iron depends on how much is in your water already. If your tap has enough iron you can leave it be.

Liquid CO2 is a nice idea in principle but all manufacturers still have not given sufficient proof that their products work and independent tests have at best been inconclusive. Many liquid CO2 products contain (or after recent mixture changes switched to similar substances) Glutaraldehyde. That stuff is known to be a quite effective algaecide so most people who bought liquid CO2 products are actually after that effect and not the intended use.

Also there is never a general "best". Only "best for your demands".
Thanks for the reply. I’m not doing Co2 injections so I’m trying to get the plants to be the healthiest without it by using good ferts and supplements.
They‘ll be in a dirted tank with an inert sand cap, a medium intensity planted tank light and I’ll use NilocG ferts.
Does NilocG have sufficient iron? How would I test my tap waters iron content? It’s well water so no chlorine and a high ph. I’m assuming it has a lot of minerals.
I’m not too worried about algae so I guess I won’t use the liquid Co2.

Upvote 0

MacZ

I’m not doing Co2 injections so I’m trying to get the plants to be the healthiest without it by using good ferts and supplements.

I don't use CO2 either, but I have to admit, I only have a dense layer of floating plants and semi-emersed plants, so they get atmospheric CO2.

How would I test my tap waters iron content?

There are testkits for that.

It’s well water so no chlorine and a high ph. I’m assuming it has a lot of minerals.

That assumption is most likely correct. Do you have an analysis of your well water? If you should use it as drinking water you definitely should invest in that once a year.

Upvote 0

sairving

Does NilocG have sufficient iron? How would I test my tap waters iron content? It’s well water so no chlorine and a high ph. I’m assuming it has a lot of minerals.

We have well water too. You can buy a test kit for iron but the most accurate way to test your well water is a well water testing kit. We just use a test kit that you can buy at the hardware store. It will usually have basic things like hardness and ph. The kits also have strips for iron and heavy metals. It will be more accurate and give you a baseline. We test every few years. If anything strange shows up, then we would send a sample to a lab. So far though, nothing has ever been out of the ordinary. Just remember to test from the cold side if you're running a water softener.

Upvote 0

Cawafuoshi

I use Sera branded CO2 tabs (cut down to size to match volume) every other or third day. They contain, in addition to CO2, potassium and manganese, and probably some other elements I don't recall.

FWIW, they seem to have helped fighting off an early hair algae infestation. Most plants seem to do better with those tabs than without. Of course, this is anecdotal evidence.

I find this to be a better way short of injection for small tanks. One tube of tabs has lasted me now more than 3 months. The only challenge is to get hold of them. I bought them on Amazon, but they don't seem to be restocked quickly. Had to go the bay route to stock up on them. Also, I do not use the "reactor" the starter kit comes with.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies
Views
Tabscat
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies