Is Ick always spotty?

1. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a couple small angels that developed a fuzzy layer to them. Maybe not fuzzy...but just matte in color. I don't know how to describe it nor do I have a picture. It is hard to capture. The fish really look normal unless you get up close and study her....instead of having a shiny body like normal....it actually looks almost velvety soft. My explanation probably sounds worse than it is. With one angel it went away on it's own. After cranking the heat to 84 (so it wasn't cranked super high or anything) I will see if I can get a photo.

I am not immediately concerned because it went away for one fish. And they never behaved differently when they looked Matte colored/ velvety.

Every photo I have looked at of Ich/ick it is always spotty and looks nothing like what mine look like. And it always seems to affect the fins quite a bit. With mine, It is only affecting their body, not their fins and for at least one angel, it went away on it's own.....So my main question is does ich/ick ever look like what I am describing?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Could it be velvet?

3. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

If you can capture a photo then it would be great .
    Velvet(oodinium) looks similar to ich.
    On the scales are there any grey or yellow dust ?

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

When I googled images of velvet disease in angelfish, it definitely resembles that more than the ick!!

But based on the treatment suggestions for velvet disease...It confuses me why all it took was 86 degrees for a few days for it to clear up on one of the angels. It sounded like there was much more effort needed to make it go way. The two affected angels are from 2 different tanks for the record. And oddly it is not effecting any of their tankmates.The guy who got better had it weeks ago and no one else got it in his tank.

The description of the disease made it seem that by the time it is this visible like this, you would have seen warning signs like flashing (which they never did) poor appetites (also not an issue) and being lethargic (also not an issue). They are showing no signs of discomfort, not rubbing on things. Nothing. And again, you have to get really really close to even see what I am seeing....

I will keep reading up on it......

5. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Here's a photo of the one who had it the worst. The picture on the left I just took today. The only thing I did to that tank is crank the Heat. None of the other fish in his tank showed any signs of whatever it was[​IMG]

And here is my Charming.... he looks better today than he did yesterday. The temperature in his tank is 84 degrees. None of his younger siblings are showing it. And as you can see there's not much to see.... in fact it may not even be the same issue. The problem is that he is usually shiny but now he is matte and shows a little bit of velvety type appearance. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I think it is Trichodina !!
    Start treating with an anti Ich med as soon as possible. Those meds work for several parasites like this.

7. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Here's the other angel affected by it... all three are in different tanks none of those tanks have other fish with the problem... it's very odd[​IMG]

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Yep I'd say Trichodina or Chilodonella. Both Ich like parasites that cause a greyish layer on fish.

9. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, I will research that!!! :)

Why do you suppose it is not affecting the other angels in their tanks? I do have a stress related theory. The first guy had been recently placed in a new tank with a seeded filter, but the tank went through a bit of a mini-cycle unfortunately. Causing stress I am sure. The middle guy is my famous "lone survivor" and he is very special to me. He lives in a 46 gallon with 13 of his younger siblings (pea sized) Most of the little guys are going to the LFS next week, but again...being the bigger angel in the tank, maybe all the little guys were starting to stress him out? (they have lived together in there for 1-2 months now with no previous problems though) And the third guy is in my display tank with 3 angels that are larger than him. He was fine in there for quite a while and now he is being outcasted....another stressor......(and he was going to be moved out of that tank anyway due to his being outcasted like that) Anyway....point being, I have a lot of angels throughout all my tanks and I am trying to figure out why it is only affecting three of them, all who live in different tanks with other angels who do NOT have a problem.

And also, why did the first one (who had it worse) get better with just some hot water? Might that be all the other ones need too? Is it possible what the first guy had is different than what the other two have? The first guy had his issue a couple weeks ago and it was resolved quickly with hot water. These two just started showing their issue in just the last couple days. So I just cranked up the heat yesterday.

sorry, just "thinking out loud" lol

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I really don't know. Also don't believe you can treat Trichodina with heattreatment.

I can be wrong but I think it's that. Maybe other members can jump in to give a positive (or negative) ID

Lots of infections are stressrelated indeed.

11. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I will work on setting up a hospital tank for these two asap. Anyone who has followed my angelfish breeding threads know how special both Charming and Nerite are to me!! Heck, Charming has his very own thread and got very famous on here! LOL Why did it have to be these two :-( boo

It appears the other angel has been cured of whatever was wrong with him, so I won't worry about him.

And I sure hope none of their tank mates end up with a problem. :-(

12. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I think it would be better to treat the main tank (though some fish don't show issues).

13. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

That would mean treating a 55 gallon and a 46 gallon and a 20 gallon. yikes.

Well, unfortunately I have already moved the two affected angels into a different 20 gallon...So Now I guess that means treating two 20 gallons, a 46 gallon and a 55 gallon? eeek

14. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Start treating the angels and keep an eye on other fish. Maybe I am wrong / aren't the others infected.

15. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Well I am crossing my fingers that the rest are ok! I just don't understand why I am dealing with this. I do water changes 1-2 times per week on my main tanks and water changes every other day on my angelfish grow out tank. I put so much time into my fish and my tanks its crazy. For the last couple years, my life has revolved around maintaining all my tanks and I take a lot of pride in it. So it is really frustrating to have this happen.

The first year or so that I kept fish, I didn't do anything but top off the water for weeks and sometimes up to a couple months at a time! I was a novice and was tricked by the crystal clear water into thinking that the tank didn't need cleaning! I can't imagine how high the nitrates must have been! And I would assume ammonia issues existed as well. I was also very overstocked, and despite all that.....I never had fish get sick like this back then!! So why now? You know?

It's almost like by keeping the conditions so pristine my fish have become more sensitive!

16. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I know. It's about the same with breeding. Some guys throw in two things (water and fish) and there will be fry.
    "Oh I feed them some crushed flakes and everyone is happy".
    Arghhhh there is me: buying expensive food, trying to copy natural conditions : result noooooothing.

But some infections don't have to do with low maintenance / waterconditions aso.
    Food, plants, fish aso can bring them in.