Is Ich Bad If It's Controlled

if I add cleaner shrimp would it help?

1. medacation

0 vote(s)
  2. water temperature and salt

1 vote(s)
  1. DragonbornXXI Initiate Member

hi, I have a 45 gallon freshwater(36"x16"x25") tank with live plants, driftwood and a pond stone cave. it's stocked with 1 rainbow shark, 6 blue tiger barbs and 4 angelfish. recently I've noticed some fish with the white spots or ich and I read online that if its not treaded the infected fish will but I don't have any quarantine tanks that I could put the fish in. what can I do if its even necessary?
  2. Demeter Well Known Member Member

All I do is crank the heat up to 88F. Over a week or so the ich slowly dies off and does't seem to come back unless a major stress is present.

Don't use medications if you don't have to. Most meds mess with the beneficial bacteria, and it seems best IMO to allow fish to build up their immune system w/o using meds. Heat works just fine on its own, I don't use salt.

3. Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

they say ich is typically present in any system. Its only under extreme stress that the fish becomes weak enough for the parasite to take hold and cause an outbreak.
  4. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

There are some Meds that have been in use for 40+ years that do not harm the beneficial bacteria. IMO the temperature and Med tolerance of the species involved should always be considered in the appropriate strategy. Treated promptly ich rarely causes fatalities, but it needs to be addressed for sure.

5. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Turn your temp up to 86°-88° for two weeks and do daily gravel vacs to get rid of any spores that have fallen from the fish to the gravel before they can reattach. It's easily beaten.
  6. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I've done 86 degrees for two weeks, with a big gravel vac at the end, and that did the trick.
  7. DragonbornXXI Initiate Member

thanks, I read that it was like a cool for fish but I wanted to be sure.

8. NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Ich is an animal. It lives by burrowing into the skin of a fish and building a white cyst. It then drains the fluids of the fish, breeding inside the cyst. The cyst explodes, and millions flood out.
    It needs a host, and is not in every system. It jumps from fish to fish by swimming.
    If left on its own, it kills its host.

Heat kills many strains of Ich, but as a treatment, it's a risky proposition. To begin, heat kills or does longterm harm to a lot of fish. As well, Ich is no pushover. There are now heat resistant strains being reported. Every parasite evolves, and heat has been used as a treatment for 80 years. Ich is catching up.

There are no Malachite green resistant strains, unless you have left the parasite to feed for so long the fish die before the Ich does.

Never quarantine Ich by removing a fish. If one cyst has popped, your entire tank is full of swimming parasites, looking for a host. Assume every fish has it, use malachite green (in many treatments from many brands) and if you act quickly, it's gone in a week. Keep treating, finish it off and move on.

Treated quickly and effectively, it's just a nuisance.