Is heater is short cycling?

ermpickle

I tried searching but I'm only finding posts about the normal heater shut off cycle.

Mine turns on for a few seconds and right back off. It stays off for maybe 10-15 seconds (sometimes 20-25) then turns back on for a few seconds. It's been doing this for hours but maintaining the tanks temp (I also have an Ink Bird to keep everyone safe)

Any trouble shooting ideas? I've tried pointing the flow of water directly at it and unplugging it. It is a VivoSun 300w on a 55 gallon tank.

Charlyc

Put it on an angle or horizontal.
Worth a try.

ermpickle

Put it on an angle or horizontal.
Worth a try.
I'll give it a go. I've tried keeping it off for the last 30 minutes so

kansas

If it's possible, get a new heater. You can't really trust them once they start acting up.

If it were a light or even a filter it would be ok to keep using it, but I'd be afraid a malfunctioning heater might get stuck on and overheat your tank.

Good luck.

BigManAquatics

What you have it set for as to what temp to kick back on again?

ermpickle

If it's possible, get a new heater. You can't really trust them once they start acting up.

If it were a light or even a filter it would be ok to keep using it, but I'd be afraid a malfunctioning heater might get stuck on and overheat your tank.

Good luck.
That's what I was worried about but you're probably right. Would it be totally dumb to buy the same one again? It's on sale for 40% off. But on the other hand this one lasted less than a year
What you have it set for as to what temp to kick back on again?
It's set to 81°F but sits at 83° which the Rams love. It's always run ~2° warmer than what it's set to though (which is why I love having an Ink Bird!)

BigManAquatics

That's what I was worried about but you're probably right. Would it be totally dumb to buy the same one again? It's on sale for 40% off. But on the other hand this one lasted less than a year

It's set to 81°F but sits at 83° which the Rams love. It's always run ~2° warmer than what it's set to though (which is why I love having an Ink Bird!)
That last part is whatmost heaters do, it seems. Not hard to deal with if aware, adjustments are pretty easy!

ermpickle

That last part is whatmost heaters do, it seems. Not hard to deal with if aware, adjustments are pretty easy!
That's great to know! I was a little worried it was weird but (until today) I hadn't had an issue because I just set it lower than I want it.
I'll probably just get the same one now while it's on sale just in case this one does out

kansas

dunno what to tell you about that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Chris92xx
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Chris92xx
  • BettaCentral
  • Heater
Replies
Views
BettaCentral