Is he sick?

1. M

Monty313 Valued Member Member

Just a quick question. Housesitting for a friend who asked me to look at their betta to see if he was sick. Noticed that he had white spots, but rather than ich spots it just looks like he has white scales in weird places. Just looks odd opposed to the blue scales. Any opinions?

[​IMG]

2. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Is it possible to get a clearer less pixilated picture?

3. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Is he swimming normally? Good appetite? Fins clamped? Does he stay in one spot in the tank all the time?

Do you know any of the details of the tank parameters? Does he have a heater and filter?

4. OP
    OP
    M

He's swimming normally, and his fins haven't been clamped from what I've noticed. Eats okay but takes him a long time to notice food. Moves around a little bit throughout the day, doesn't seem uncomfortable.

Before my friend left to go out of town, I witnessed them scrub the empty 10 gal tank down with a retired dish sponge then replace the water and filter media, so it's definitely not cycled anymore, poor thing. I think thats the routine it's used to for water changes that I believe don't happen very often. Asides from that, I haven't been able to get my testing kit here to test the water. Assumably, it's probably used to extreme water conditions. About 2 years old too

He DOES have a heater and filter, but they're not usually plugged in to my knowledge when his owners are here. Heaters not Adjustable and there isn't a thermometer. The filter is just a basic tetra whisper made for a 10 gal. I just barely convinced the owner to use filter floss as opposed to using expired carbon based media because they don't replace it often enough

I'm basically trying to figure out of he's sick because if he is maybe I could convince my friend to let me take him home so I can give him more appropriate living conditions in a nice big planted tank all by himself :)

Sorry about that! It's a little hard the aquarium doesn't have a light. Is this any better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Yeah way better. Does it look fuzzy?

6. OP
    OP
    M

They're not exactly fuzzy but they seemed raised compared to the others. Not quite dropsy raised, but still elevated. He's also abnormally wide, but he's also over fed so maybe he's just fat?

7. Aquaphobia

I would guess that there's maybe some soap or other chemical residue from the dish scrubber that's making him feel bad. If they clean it that way every time it could explain the Betta's appearance of being sick.

8. OP
    OP
    M

Good point, do you think there's anyway to undo the affects of the soap/make the tank safe again? I read the method about bleach, but I wouldn't have time for that because the fish owner is returning soon. And plus using bleach in a tank always seems feels taboo to me.

9. Aquaphobia

Lots and lots of rinsing with fresh clean water. I wouldn't use bleach, just water.

10. OP
    OP
    M

Good advice, thank you for your help!

11. Aquaphobia

Good luck:)