Is He Sick Or Being Bullied

1. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Currently have two male scarlet badis in my 5.5 gallon tank. I ordered three but the third ended up being on backorder and them the order got cancelled.
    2892a91a59cb1e9cc047cd4e5a34f8cd.jpg
    ae50c422f5450d657ef28f7ce9a7b6e4.jpg
    This is what the smaller of my two males looks like. I can't tell if he's sick or if he's just being bullied. His tail is constantly clamped so I'm not sure

2. M

Matty6477 Valued Member Member

What are your water parameters? Also what I will say, is that it's not a good idea to stock multiple Scarlet Badis males together in a small tank as they can be very aggressive towards each other, so bullying is a possibility.

3. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

I was supposed to get three which would have made it a trio but one was put on back order *ugh*
    Parameters:
    pH: 7.8
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 10 ppm
    Temp: 74°F
    f0e564198d985159142ae3bdbfa9baa8.jpg
    This is my dominant male who looks perfectly healthy. My subdominant had an issue with his mouth but it looks to have grown back and I've seen him picking at floating particles. He's super skinny compared to the bigger male

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not sure the subdominant male will do very well long term...... I'd have gotten a male and female pair.

5. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

I ordered them online and there was no way to determine the gender of the fish, hence I ordered three. I am currently looking into the fish stores near me. If anything, i'll bite the bullet and order more fish online, probably from a different supplier though