Is he doomed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I've had two gold barbs in my tank for a few weeks. Last week I bought 3 more to round the group out to 5(this was 1 week ago today). All three were much less colorful than the two I had but 2 of them are starting to brighten up, I assume they'd be dimmer anyways because they're a little smaller and younger. But one of the new ones is still quite dull, almost colorless and about 2/3s of the day isn't shoaling with the other 4, who aren't super tight, but stick together. This one stays alone and is so dull, I'm wondering if the stress of moving into my tank is just too much for it. Do you think it's gonna die and is there anything I can do for it? It eats when I feed them, just stays alone and looks sad all day

Any advice?

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds like it is still just stressed about the move, if all else seems well except his coloring.
Keep up on the water changes and keep an eye on him.
Patience and please let us know if anything else changes...we have a huge knowledge bank here with our members.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh yes I forgot, he could also be a bit weak from his life in the fish store too, so as Zendial replied, just be sure all else is good and he will perk up. 1 week isn't very long if you ain't feeling well.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe he's just the nerd with a fishy pocket protector and thick glasses that the jock and cheerleader fishies don't want to be seen with.

If he's eating, he's ok. I think one of mine keeps to himself a lot while the other six are off doing whatever fish do. My corys are the same way.

Is it a male? If so, I think (don't hold me to this) that the dominant male will be more boldly colored and the others will be duller, so maybe this guy is the bottom of the ladder. I have one male that is definitely duller than the rest, but I'm not sure if he's the outsider.

-Lisa

OP
NC_OBS

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought the same thing! maybe they just don't like him I'll get the water tested, have them tell me the numbers. But I did a 20% the day before I got them and like a 25% change on tuesday, plus all the others seem quite happy, including my Pleco. Maybe he's just a flake I'll keep an eye and do another small water change. & Cross my fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom