Is he dead?

Mindy3

Just a bit ago I found our snail on the underside of the filter intake. I wrap carbon around it with a zip tie but it was higher than normal because I’d taken it out to put new carbon filter on it. I immediately unplugged the filter and he fell and he’s inside his shell like I’ve never seen before. A minute later one of our shrimp started going at him (he was upside down) so I shooed her away and used tongs to move him to the front of the aquarium. He hasn’t moved at all and I’ve literally never seen him sucked up into his shell like this. I can’t stop crying thinking my laziness at not putting the intake an inch further down killed him.

update: he is alive but he is not in good shape. Last night I put him in a 2.5 gallon with two pellets and water from the main tank. He practically fell out of his shell when I moved him. Didn’t close up at all. He climbed to the water edge and spent all night there. Didn’t budge. Didn’t eat. I went and got a breeder tank to put him back in the main tank with. When I moved him again he just came right off the glass. Didn’t fight. He did come out of his shell as per normal when I put him in the breeder tank. He has both antennae and his siphon is in tact. He climbed right back up to the waters edge and stuck out his siphon. Idk if that’s the only way he can breathe right now? But he’s camping out there again. Hasn’t touched the new pellet I put in there either. When Iput light on him a minute ago he actually curled his foot off the glass and over his face so I’m keeping it darkened. Hopefully he pulls through. Updated pic is second pic.

Attachments

• C1D55A67-2693-442E-A5B8-855AD70BCD38.jpeg
    C1D55A67-2693-442E-A5B8-855AD70BCD38.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 25
  • BABEAECA-2681-4140-BB8B-52176D4A2577.jpeg
    BABEAECA-2681-4140-BB8B-52176D4A2577.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 16

AggressiveAquatics

Take him out of the tank and smell him. A dead snail will smell terrible and you’ll know it when you smell it. If he doesn’t smell try putting him into a cup with tank water and see if he will come out

StarGirl

If hes clamped up he isnt dead. The body falls out all limp when they are dead. Give him time he may be spooked pretty good.

Mindy3

Take him out of the tank and smell him. A dead snail will smell terrible and you’ll know it when you smell it. If he doesn’t smell try putting him into a cup with tank water and see if he will come out
Would he smell that quickly? Couldn’t have been more than a couple of hours.
If hes clamped up he isnt dead. The body falls out all limp when they are dead. Give him time he may be spooked pretty good.
When I moved him fell out partially. I picked him up again to put him in a bowl and he clamped again but idk if that was just a nerve reaction.

StarGirl

Oh no give him time to come out. Mine stay in one place for a whole day sometimes.

Mindy3

Would he smell that quickly? Couldn’t have been more than a couple of hours.

When I moved him fell out partially. I picked him up again to put him in a bowl and he clamped again but idk if that was just a nerve reaction.
One antennae has moved a bit but he’s otherwise partially out of his shell.

StarGirl

I would give him at least overnight and see what he is doing tomorrow.

Mindy3

I would give him at least overnight and see what he is doing tomorrow.
He’s moving now! Extremely slowly. I have him in a little bowl. Should I set up the hospital tank for him? I’m scared the shrimp will go after him if I put him back in the main tank.

StarGirl

Maybe put some food he likes in the bowl and see if he moves regularly. If he does I would put him back home. The shrimp should leave him be. If not you have some savage shrimps!

Mindy3

Oh no give him time to come out. Mine stay in one place for a whole day sometimes.
He’s always extremely active and never goes completely into his shell. He was really stuck on there. He’s alive for sure but appear injured and or exhausted. Afraid to put him back in the main tank.
Maybe put some food he likes in the bowl and see if he moves regularly. If he does I would put him back home. The shrimp should leave him be. If not you have some savage shrimps!
We are actually considering rehoming the shrimp. That’s the second time I’ve seen the big one go after him. I put a pellet in with him. He’s just resting on the side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 20

StarGirl

He’s always extremely active and never goes completely into his shell. He was really stuck on there. He’s alive for sure but appear injured and or exhausted. Afraid to put him back in the main tank.

We are actually considering rehoming the shrimp. That’s the second time I’ve seen the big one go after him. I put a pellet in with him. He’s just resting on the side.
Honestly I have never had anything on a intake in my 55g and none of my mysteries or nerites have ever gotten stuck on it. I hope hes ok.

Mindy3

Honestly I have never had anything on a intake in my 55g and none of my mysteries or nerites have ever gotten stuck on it. I hope hes ok.
We discovered the cap had fallen off the bottom of the intake when I cleaned the tank the other day. It was just wide open on the underside.

StarGirl

Well that sucks. Is he still doing ok today?

AggressiveAquatics

I would put a veggie in there with him. Personally I’ve never seen a mystery snail eat a pellet and I doubt think he eat a floating one

Mindy3

Well that sucks. Is he still doing ok today?
I just updated the original post! He’s alive but not great.
I would put a veggie in there with him. Personally I’ve never seen a mystery snail eat a pellet and I doubt think he eat a floating one
He’s the opposite actually! He’s never been interested in veggies but loves these alfalfa pellets. They sink.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ValloryWoodruff
Replies
Views
Randomfish556
Replies
Views
lindsaylbennett
Replies
Views