Is He A Common Or Comet Goldfish?

1. Frisky2011

Frisky2011 New Member Member

Hello everyone! Just was puzzling over whether my goldfish Frisky is a common or a comet goldfish! I know that common and comet goldfish are both different breeds of goldfish: comet has longer, more flowy fins, and the common has shorter fins and is a closer relative to its carp ancestor. Other than what I've said already, I don't really know how to tell the difference between the two, although I think he's common, his fins are a bit long… so I really don't know which one he is! Maybe you can tell from these pictures…

(I got him from a Fair in 2011 and right now he's about 6 inches! I also am well aware of how big common and comet goldfish can get as well as how long they can live, and so I plan on getting him a 75gal tank pretty soon and later a 150gal tank in the future!)
    1-Frisky2017.jpg
    2-Frisky2017.jpg 3-Frisky2017.jpg
    4-Frisky2017.jpg 5-Frisky2017.jpg 6-Frisky2017.jpg 7-Frisky2017.jpg 8-Frisky2017.jpg

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Looks more like a common than a comet, but the two have been bred together it is most likely a 'hybrid?'. The goldfish has already grown to its (this individual goldfish's) maximum size, since stunting can only be reversed in less than a year after the fish has been stunted.

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Very beautiful common. :)

4. OP
    OP
    Frisky2011

Thanks! :)

5. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

a common and very pretty. You are the first person i saw on this site in the beginners section who know how to take care of a common goldie. I think you should get him a friend since goldies are quite social

6. FishFish221

If you do decide, wait until you get the 150 gallon and get a comet/common goldfish, since fancy ones will not be able to compete over it with food.

7. shiv234

or
    one of those jikins...they are pretty to and are just commons or comets with 2 tails

8. FishFish221

Shubunkins have one tail.

9. shiv234

my bad. You know jenny from solid gold aquatics. She has some common goldie with 2 tails....i can't remember its name

10. tunafax

Those are Jikin. :)

11. shiv234

Its a jikin goldfish...my bad

yeahhhh...i mixed the names up

12. OP
    OP
    Frisky2011

I was just visiting several different fish forums on stunting and I saw a couple of stories about common goldfish still growing after being moved to a bigger tank. Does having stunted growth mean that they won't grow anymore? What does it mean exactly?

13. tunafax

Stunting only means that at some point the fish tank was too small to accommodate the fish so the fish didn't grow, but the internal organs kept growing. In theory, at take this with a grain of salt, they will continue growing until they die unless restricted by something like tank size or food amount.

So even though he's 6" and hasn't grown since 2011, it's entirely possible he'll have a growth sprout when he's in a bigger tank and gets a bit more food.

Also, I can't get over his face. It's the most perfect goldfish face I've ever seen. Like ಠ╭╮ಠ ehehe!

14. FishFish221

Stunting can be recovered from, but I've never heard of recovering from stunting after more than a year of being stunted.

15. tunafax

What @FishFish221 said. Even if his body grows, he will still have issues internally.

16. OP
    OP
    Frisky2011

I just read this, and I think he may have one sign of stunted growth according to what was said on that website: his eye to head size ratio. :(

Thank you! That was very helpful & informative… but he wasn't always half a foot! I'll give you a run down of his growth:

~2011: (He was about 2-3 inches or less, I played a game at the fair I went to, and won Frisky.) This was when I first got him and I wasn't at all ready to take care of a Goldfish, and the only fish friendly "aquarium" I had was a 7"in.x7"in. glass square, which he lived in for about a year or so -> (Size: 2-3 inches Tank: 7"x7" cube)
    Frisky2011GlassSquareCube7"x7".jpg

~2012?-2013?-2014: in 2012 or 2013 Moved him into a 10 gallon tank I got from petsmart: (Size: 3-4 inches Tank: 10 Gallons) Frisky2012-201310GalTank.jpg

~2014 Still in the 10 gallon he grew to about 5 inches:
    (Size: 5" Tank: 10 Gallons) P4221291.JPG

~2016-2017: Out grew the 10 gallon tank and managed to convince my parents to get a 20 gallon tank (I really wanted a 30 or 40 gallon tank, though.): (Size: 6" Tank: 20 Gallons)

Attached Files: