Is hardness killing my fish

1. a

abhijeeteaplayer New Member Member

helo will u please help me whenever i brought fishes they will die...
    some frnds said that this is due to hardwater...
    when i takeout water from fishtank it have a lot of white dots which cannot be removed from vinegar,kerosene and washing powder.,...

do u help me ?

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, Welcome to fishlore :;hi2

I have moved your post to a topic of it's own so that more members might help.

I would immediately stop using washing powder, kerosene and other substances to clean your tank. These leave residue that poisons your fish.

Also - please take some time to read up on the nitrogen cycle (words should be underlined, and there's a link in my signature below), it will help explain some of your losses.

If you could also take some time to fill in your aquarium info (My Profile -> About Me), this will help other members to help you.

Welcome, I hope you enjoy the site.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore. You will find a great home for all your questions here.

I serioulsy doubt your hard water is killing your fish unless it is really off the richter scale. Most fish will adjust to differant Ph levels. What I think you probably have to worry about is that ammonia and nitrite are more than likely building up in your water. You need, as Ryan said to read up on the nitrogen cycle. Start with doing a 50% water change everyday until you get your tank straightened out and go from there.

Like Ryan said, no more cleaning with toxic liquids'!!!!!!

Wendy

4. PrairieSunflower

PrairieSunflower New Member Member

I agree, number 1 is the cycled tank as already mentioned.

When it comes to cleaning my tank (cleaning ornaments and such), I remove them from the tank and run them under hot water. It is rare that I ever have to do more to clean them, but I have before used a fresh toothbrush, but still with clean water only, never anything added. Its not necessarily a bad thing to have fish slime on your ornaments and such either... over cleaning your tank can also clean away the good things that keep you tank healthy.

Have you used a stresszyme or good bacteria boost product with your water changes? Also do you use anything to remove the chlorine and chloramine from your water?

5. OP
    OP
    a

i read the nitro. cycle as u say...but it begins nearly in 2 weeks but i bought fishes and within five days my tank was empty and remaining fish i send to my frnds aquarium.....and thanx to help me...
    and i bought fish

was

carps and goldfish....how should i restart my tank....plz help..

6. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, glad we could help. To get started, there's a lot of information on Fishlore.

You could start with the beginner guides https://www.fishlore.com/FirstTankSetup.htm

These will help get you on your way, and then come back with more questions.

7. OP
    OP
    a

is alum is safe for our home aquarium fish.,.?

8. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

As posted in your other thread, alum is potentially harmful to fish. I think that the big problem here is ammonia poisoning. With 2 koi and 2 rainbow sharks, your 45 litre tank is seriously overstocked.

9. OP
    OP
    a

ok i will do something for all the suggestions i get from this website....

and will be back with some more queries when i start my fishtank....