Is Gravel Necessary?

Icicle

Reaction score
Just wondering if Gravel is necessary? I was thinking of setting up my 29 gallon for some Black Moors and I'm wondering does one have to put gravel in it ? They aren't bottom feeders, so I don't see why I would need it.. unless it's something 'chemical'?

Thanks!

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well unless you plan on having NO plants, you have to have gravel. Not sure about any other downers that come with no gravel.

whitewavemoon

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but no, if you don't have an undergravel filter, or do not wish to place any plants in the tank, gravel isn't really necessary. I've heard that some Discus breeders have bare bottom tanks in order to keep the water cleaner--they can see the "dirt" on the bottom of the tank that needs vacuumed, it doesn't stay trapped in the gravel.

dazzler

Reaction score
gravel is not 100% neccessary. BUT the sheer look and appeal is beneficial. also all the fish waste and food will just slip and slide around on the bottom glass not too attractive.  if you have no gravel what do you intend to put in the tank with the fish. its kinda like living in a house with no furniture it will get very boring to both live in and to look at. there are many options apart from gravel I'm sure!!!     gravel is one place the  "happy" bacteria grow and help your cycle along or your tank to seed as they say.

regards   dazzler

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No you on't have to have gravel, it's all up to how you personally want the tank to look. Goldfish tend to eat/uproot most plants so you could put some in post around the tank.
All my fry tanks are bare bottom.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you won't have live plants, you don't need any gravel. I agree that a tank without a gravel looks kind of "bare" but it's totally up to you. It's true that many breeders keep their breeding tanks without gravel. This is because they need to be able to clean their tanks well and fast. With gravel, you have all fish wastes getting trapped under the gravel, and unless you don't remove these wastes (through regular gravel vacs), they will cause the quality of your water to deteriorate.

One thing though: I believe gravel provides a lot of surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow. I know that most of the nitrifying bacteria are in the filter, but I also believe that they're on all surfaces inside the tank, and not just in the filter.

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
I have to go with Dazzler on this one. While it might not be necessary, I would think it'd look kinda weird without it. I personally like gravel and some bigger rocks (plus a hunk or 2 of driftwood) to give it a more natural "River Bottom" look.

PPK9110

Reaction score
Isabella said:
If you won't have live plants, you don't need any gravel. I agree that a tank without a gravel looks kind of "bare" but it's totally up to you. It's true that many breeders keep their breeding tanks without gravel. This is because they need to be able to clean their tanks well and fast. With gravel, you have all fish wastes getting trapped under the gravel, and unless you don't remove these wastes (through regular gravel vacs), they will cause the quality of your water to deteriorate.

One thing though: I believe gravel provides a lot of surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow. I know that most of the nitrifying bacteria are in the filter, but I also believe that they're on all surfaces inside the tank, and not just in the filter.
oh I didn't know that breeders keep their breeding tanks without gravel...umm..so they can easily spot the eggs right? I didn't know that haha..I was gonna start a 35 gallon cichilid tank and breed them so I shouldn't have any gravel you think?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
breeders keep their breeding and fry tanks bare so their easier to clean
Carol

New Threads