Is grape wood and ghost wood safe?

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can I use Grapewood and Ghostwood in my tanks??
Manzanita Driftwood
Manzanita Driftwood

Here are some more natural brances..Kinda cool

Manzanita Driftwood

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow...those are nice, and cheap!
I hope that you can use them!

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, Aren't they cool...Shipping is cheap too..My sister found this site..It's kinda like a hobby lobby online..I LOVE Hobby Lobby so this is right up my alley. Their other stuff is cool too.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as long as there isn't any perfumes, dyes, or any chemicals and paints/lacquer , I'm sure they will be fine...boiling is key...as you know this but they are amazing pieces!

hkirchen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would think it would have the same properties as driftwood. I would boil it a few times to be sure, but I think it would be fine, and lovely! I wonder if it would darken in the water? One way to find out!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
doesn't look like it has much tannis in it...but as you say, one way to find out

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes I would boil it ALLOT..but it does say it's been sandblasted to get all the bark off and cleaned and sanitized....That's more then what the LFS does..lol...I'll let ya all know how it turns out. They are pretty pieces.

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow Cesch! That looks amazing! I think it would probably be fine if you boiled it a lot

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just thought I'd update this thread. This is WAY cheaper then you can get at any LFS and it looks awesome in the tank..Here is the piece I got. I didn't order it from these people because I found another piece, same brand, at a store near me..But just thought I'd let ya all know. Here are some pics of it. They are in another thread about my tank but I thought I'd post them here too.

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm going to be getting a WHOLE LOT of live plants for this tank. I wanted to get some Java Fern for it as well as some Java moss. It's really a neat piece for pretty cheap.

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow Cesch it looks really nice Do you mind me asking how much it cost?

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not at all. The ones online, the link above are like $24.00 and I was going to order online from then but I went into a retail place. T.J. Maxx and there they set for $16.00. I had to get it and there was two and I should have grabbed them both but I only picked up this piece.

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh cool I have a TJ Maxx by me, so I will deffinetly go look there. Did you find it in the home section?

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yup, With the decor items. It is all natural Grape wood vine. Hope they have some for ya.

OP
CHoffman

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wanted to update this for everyones sake. I can't say for certain but I do believe this driftwood is NOT safe at all. All my sweet Angelfish died the cories lived but my dear babies didn't. . I took the driftwood out did a 90% waterchange..(which wasn't fun on a 120 gallon tank) let the tank sit for two weeks with just the cories and then added by breeding pair of angels in. They have been there two weeks and are doing GREAT!!. I can't say that it was def the wood but I have reason to believe it might have been. It makes me very sad that I lost 4 fish to it but I wanted to let everyone else know too. Very pretty but not so great for aquarium use.

Nate McFin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry about the loss. That's really too bad.
Thanks for updating though as every time I see this stuff I want to pick some up. Too bad it didnt work out.

New Threads