Is granite aquarium safe?

1. apple429

apple429 Well Known Member Member

I just picked up some broken granite pieces in a field today, do you think it will be aquarium safe? Some of it has pieces silicone on it, if I scrape it off, will it be okay?

Thanks!!

2. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

put in it water if it fizzes then no. Thats what I was told at least.

3. Dino

Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Granite is aquarium safe. I have had dozens of pieces in tanks for years.

4. toosie

toosie Well Known Member Member

What type of field did you find it in? If it's a farmer's field then the answer is no. Farmers spray their fields with pesticides and herbicides. If you found it in a place you are certain that sort of thing won't have come in contact with it, then as long as all traces of the silicone are removed, (it may contain a mildewicide) and providing when you place it in water no rust streaks or smears form then it should be ok to use but you will need to do a really good scrubbing on it. Don't boil rocks, just scrub them.

5. OP
    OP
    apple429

apple429 Well Known Member Member

It is behind a business park that I work at So I would say I am good!

What about the pieces with silicone? I will scrape it off, of course, but will it still be safe?

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention that it is polished, looks just like what you buy for your counter top, still okay?

6. Dino

Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I would think you would be safe once all silicone is removed.

7. toosie

toosie Well Known Member Member

Yes, Dino is right. I have the polished kind in my aquarium and I've never had an issue of any sorts with it, but still check for pockets of rust. It happens even in the countertop granite.

8. u

uphill4me Valued Member Member

Granite is great but as suggested, soak it in water. Some air will escape but excessive fizzing is not a good sign. Add a generous portion of salt to the water and keep it warm. This should enhance any potential rusting to make easier to spot; an iron test would be handy. Most often it is no problem (slight iron release is arguably good for plants, but not as good as chelated iron; not so nice to fish though) but considering the source I'd check. Wouldn't worry about the polished surface, any chemical residues should easily disolve in water or with a good wipe of vinegar solution.