Is gorilla glue harmful for fish?

Jasminesaquarium

A few months ago I set up a 25-litre aquarium for a betta fish. The day before I brought home this betta fish, I placed filter media from the filter in my other aquarium so it can be 'instantly cycled'. In this aquarium, I also have two large aquarium safe wood branches (I brought from an aquarium shop) with lots of Anubias plants glued to the wood with special plant glue.
However, the plant glue is too weak to glue wood together so I used Gorilla glue to glue some branches together. (I waited 24hrs before placing in aquarium).

After a week of the betta fish being in the aquarium, it suddenly for very sick and died within a day, it seemed to have some sort of swim bladder disease and strange mucus on its body! I immediately tested the water with my API master test kit and the results where: PH 7.5, NO^2 <0.3 mg/l, NO^3 + NO^4 0 mg/l.

So I just assumed that the betta fish was already sick when I brought it, A day after it died I brought a new betta (I didn't want to lose the good bacteria) but this one died only 4 days after placing in the aquarium with the exact same symptoms! (also I tested the water again with the same results from last time)

Its been a few months and I haven't added a new fish because Im to scared I could kill another one. Do you think the gorilla glue killed the bettas? Its ether that or maybe the food because it looks a little dodgy? If it is the gorrila glue can I keep the wood or will it still leach chemicals? Please help I just want to make sure this aquarium is safe for a new betta!

Attachments

• 2021_06_01 12_06 Office Lens (1).jpg
    2021_06_01 12_06 Office Lens (1).jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210601_120458887.jpg
    IMG_20210601_120458887.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210411_150110688_HDR_2.jpg
    IMG_20210411_150110688_HDR_2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210601_120333883.jpg
    IMG_20210601_120333883.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210601_120405687.jpg
    IMG_20210601_120405687.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 15

pagoda

If the glue is Cyanoacrylate then fine, but if not....its not suitable for aquariums

Super Glue types are fine, but get the gel variant otherwise the runny one will run everywhere.

Just check on the list of ingredients for Cyanoacrylate or Ethyl Cyanoacrylate

Upvote 0

Jasminesaquarium

If the glue is Cyanoacrylate then fine, but if not....its not suitable for aquariums

Super Glue types are fine, but get the gel variant otherwise the runny one will run everywhere.

Just check on the list of ingredients for Cyanoacrylate or Ethyl Cyanoacrylate
It doesn't mention those ingredients but it does say it contains: polyisocyante, isocyanic acid, polymethylenepolyphenylene ester, 4,4'-methlenediphenyl diisocyanate, benzene, 1,1'-methlenebis(isocyanato .

Im gonna assume its harmful then, If I remove the wood and do a 100% water change do you think will it be safe to add a fish? (after cycling the tank of course)

Upvote 0

pagoda

I think you would be wise to clear the aquarium right out and start again from scratch, scrub the aquarium, bin the substrate, bin the extras like ornaments, including filter media...and maybe the filter too since glue residue might have attached itself to the casing and same goes for the heater aswell

As you say, its a full recycle on the aquarium with new substrate, ornaments...everything

Best to play it safe than to only change out part and still have issues.

It's an easy error to make so don't get too upset over it, means a bit of work to start again, thats all

Upvote 0

Jasminesaquarium

I think you would be wise to clear the aquarium right out and start again from scratch, scrub the aquarium, bin the substrate, bin the extras like ornaments, including filter media...and maybe the filter too since glue residue might have attached itself to the casing and same goes for the heater aswell

As you say, its a full recycle on the aquarium with new substrate, ornaments...everything

Best to play it safe than to only change out part and still have issues.

It's an easy error to make so don't get too upset over it, means a bit of work to start again, thats all
Yeah, I guess I will have to do that.. at least it means I can redecorate! It's just a pity because the plants were growing so well :/

Thank you for your advice, It has helped a lot :D

Upvote 0

pagoda

Yeah, I guess I will have to do that.. at least it means I can redecorate! It's just a pity because the plants were growing so well :/

Thank you for your advice, It has helped a lot :D

No worries.

Gorilla do make a super glue should you want to use it....but whichever glue that you use always look for the specified ingredient and go for the gel version as its easier to use on aquatics :)

Upvote 0

RayClem

It doesn't mention those ingredients but it does say it contains: polyisocyante, isocyanic acid, polymethylenepolyphenylene ester, 4,4'-methlenediphenyl diisocyanate, benzene, 1,1'-methlenebis(isocyanato .

Im gonna assume its harmful then, If I remove the wood and do a 100% water change do you think will it be safe to add a fish? (after cycling the tank of course)

Gorilla glue contains a variety of isocyanates. The CDC web site has the following caution about these chemicals"

"Isocyanates are powerful irritants to the mucous membranes of the eyes and gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts. Direct skin contact can also cause marked inflammation."
Isocyanates | NIOSH | CDC

If isocyanates irritate the mucous membranes of humans, imaging what it does to the gills of fish who are exposed 24-7.

Before you dump everything in the tank, however, you might try using a large batch of fresh activated carbon. It is remarkably adept at absorbing a variety of organic chemicals from the water. You could also try Purigen in addition to the carbon.

However, if it is a small betta tank, replacing the substrate and decorations might not be any more expensive. This is one of the few situation in which I would recommend discarding your cycled filter media. The chemicals from the glue may be absorbed into the structure of the media, so discard it and recycle your tank from scratch. If you can get some cycled media from another tank (yours, a friends, from the LFS), that will get things cycled faster.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForceTen
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
nileshm96