Is Frozen Krill recommended, i have lil trouble with it Question

1. AwNuts Member Member

about 2 to 3 months ago i bought some frozen krill which my local petsmart associate recommended me to purchase for my fishes. The associate indicated that it was sort of like a treat to the fishes and that they would enjoy it.

I went ahead and purchased a sheet which includes several blocks and well i gave it a try and insert a block of frozen krill in my big tank. I stood by watching the the frozen block of krill thaw out in the water. After a little while i didn't see any of the fishes trying to eat the krill. I gave it another hour and nothing which about 2 days later i sucked out all the krill that were left in the bottom.

is Frozen krill something that fishes do not enjoy eating???

t:;bbqhey all seem to eat Blood Worms and Tetra Color Plus Flakes just fine:;bbq

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

its best to thaw a small piece in a cup with tank water..then after its thawed, feed pieces of it to your fish...sorta like target feeding...every fish in your tank should go nuts for it but not if its a frozen chunk ..(although mine would LOL)

3. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

My fish do not like Krill either!. I have a ton of it and they would prefer to not eat if Krill is for dinner..lol.. don't know what the deal is.

4. AwNuts Member Member

Dido here,

i usually never thaw out any frozen bloodworms as it thaws out really fast when i drop it in the water tank. As soon as i drop a frozen cube of bloodworms in the water all my fishes goes nuts and eat it fast.

but if i drop in krill they don't even pay attention to it.

it sucks just having the krill laying around and the fishes not enjoying it. With the money i spent on it i would of rather gone and bought something for myself at a fast food joint.

5. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

awnuts, sprinkle the kill on your cheeseburgers....might as well get some nutrition too!!!!....lol

6. AwNuts Member Member

heheheeh eeewwww that does not sound good lol.

im going to give it another try with the few new fishes that i have in the tank.

im going to thaw out a cube and give them a small portion. It they eat it then i will introduce krill to them slowly until they eat a full frozen block as i don't want krill sitting on the bottom of the tank for days

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you thaw it prior to throwing it in the tank, they will love it....

8. AwNuts Member Member

Update. so over the weekend while cleaning up the house, i thawed out a cube of krill making sure none of the pieces where frozen. Since i have 7 new fishes in the tank i said what the heck they may like it. I introduce the krill a little it at a time to ensure that they would eat it and Success all the fishes were going nuts for it.'

It seems that since i took the needle fish out of my tank my fishes are very energetic and swiming alot more now. Before they would hide alot and hang out in the bottom by all the decors. Now they are all over the tank swimming in the Top, Middle and Bottom all day long playing around.

Happy to see my fishes all happy and healty.

The needle fish is not liking the smaller tank he pretty much chills alot.

in conclusion, introduction of krill to my fishes was a success this time. :)

9. erk419 Member Member

I bought a sheet of that over the weekend and feed it to them for the first time last night. My oscar like it but he will eat anything I in there. My clown loaches and columbian sharks liked it to but my tin foil barbs and green terrors didnt seem to like it. My terrors are pretty pick though.