Is Fluval Or Osmocote Safe For Cherry Shrimp

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
frozenskyz18 said:
I have a heavily planted 20 and I want to put cherry shrimp inside.
I’m using Fluval plant micro nutrients and osmocote right now.
Is it safe? I have a few guppies inside the tank
It should be fine. Copper in large amounts is deadly but most ferts have little copper in them. You say osmocote, I assume you mean root tabs youmade yourself? I would check the packaging and see how high the copper is in them. If buried, its unlikely to be an issue, but for future, I would prolly go with seachem root tabs instead. They have very minimal copper. Although I do know some shrimp keepers that use osmocote as well.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
I’ve used no ferts of any type in my shrimp tank and the plants grow like crazy. Everything grows in there. I’m thinking shrimp waste is very good for plant growth.
In my 30 community (now with shrimp) I use osmocote and flourish. If anything shrimp look brighter red in there.

MD_Plants

Well Known
86 ssinit said:
I’ve used no ferts of any type in my shrimp tank and the plants grow like crazy. Everything grows in there. I’m thinking shrimp waste is very good for plant growth.
In my 30 community (now with shrimp) I use osmocote and flourish. If anything shrimp look brighter red in there.
Shrimp have a very low bioload so that won’t be it...

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
I've been using Equilibrium to remineralize RO water for my shrimp tank and it has some macros that help plants so I've only used micros a few times per week. I also dose Metricide 14 (Excel) a couple of times per week. I just started using Equilibrium in my other tanks for macronutrients.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
MD_Plants said:
Shrimp have a very low bioload so that won’t be it...
I’ve read this a lot but about a month ago I was using another 5gal as a qt tank. When done I put 8 shrimp into this bare bottom tank and was shocked by how much shrimp waste was in the tank daily.

MD_Plants

Well Known
86 ssinit said:
I’ve read this a lot but about a month ago I was using another 5gal as a qt tank. When done I put 8 shrimp into this bare bottom tank and was shocked by how much shrimp waste was in the tank daily.
They still don’t produce a lot. That’s why people add mystery snails with them to increase bioload and prevent the tank from recycling.

Galathiel

Well Known
I put in a mystery snail and a small nerite in my new shrimp tank. My others just have nerites in them. I don't want any of the easily reproducing snails in any of my tanks. I've never had pest snails and I don't want to start now.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Galathiel said:
I put in a mystery snail and a small nerite in my new shrimp tank. My others just have nerites in them. I don't want any of the easily reproducing snails in any of my tanks. I've never had pest snails and I don't want to start now.
I agree, I have the same in my shrimp tank too.

New Threads