Help Is flashing a symptom of internal or external parasites?

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Hi, all. Finally got my fancy goldies today. I've treated in my large tank for parasites, both internal and external, using Jungle tank buddies parasite clear tablets as well as the medicated anti-parasite food, so I have both on hand. One of the new fish is flashing. My problem is, since I've only ever treated fish in the past for a bunch of symptoms at the same time, never really knowing if it was internal or external, I never learned what flashing meant. In my other tank that I treated, one fish Iwas darting, and the other had a visible white lump that turned out to be an internal parasite. Anyway, I used both on that tank. Which do I use for this? The food apparently treats internal parasites only, so I don't want to use if it I don't need to. I may use it just as a precaution, anyway, since they're pet store fish and there's a good chance they'd have both, but the regimen is pretty tedious (3 consec. days a week for 4 weeks), so if I can clear it up another way that'd be nice. The other thing is, these fish are TINY. About an inch each. I'm worried the tablets would harm them. One of my comets got two burns from the tablets, and I didn't overdose. Any suggestions for treating the little guy? Thanks!
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,459
Reaction score
148
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Flashing can point to any number of things. It could be anything from a toxin in the water, to Ich to gill parasites & a number of other things. Are there any other signs of anything wrong? EG: rapid gill rate, visible ulcers or parasites, very red or light coloured gills, stringy or segmented poo? What are the water parameters of the tank & what temp is the tank at?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
Just started
No other symptoms at all. The flashing isn't bad, he's only done it a couple times. I've only had them home for a few hours. They're swimming and eating like normal, and the more I watch him I'm not sure he's actually even doing it. The temp is 68, and I'll check the parameters in the morning, since I just put them in. The tank was fully cycled with lots of bio media and also used gravel and media from another tank, and since he first did this after being home for about 1/2 an hour, I'm not sure it's the parameters, since they were 0,0,10ish (before water change), and nothing has had time to build up yet. It just looks like every now and then when he digs in the gravel for food he kind of brushes up against it on his way back up. Could be nothing. They're PetSmart fish, and I had parasites with my comets, so I could just be paranoid.
 
Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,459
Reaction score
148
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet then. It could be just a little stress from the move or maybe just getting used to the water if the parameters are different. I'd give them a little time to settle in & see if the flashing persists. Just keep an eye on it & continue to make sure the water quality is good.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Okay, Nutter, so now he/she is darting. The parameters are the same as they were before adding them. I watched them throughout the day, and they all are doing great, but I caught just that one fish a couple times sitting still then suddenly darting violently. It looks really similar to what my comet did before I treated for parasites. I'd like to use the tablets since they take care of internal and external and the food only internal (since I don't know which it is). Do you know if the tablets would harm them since they're so tiny? I tried to call Jungle, but their hours are only during the week, so I won't be able to get ahold of them until Monday. I can't decide which is worse - taking the risk of overdosing or waiting until they get a little bigger to treat it. Not that they would get bigger by Monday, but overall you get what I'm saying.
 
Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,459
Reaction score
148
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not familiar with the specific medication you want to give to them so I can't give any advice on wether it will be safe for juvenille fish or not. I only ever use medications as an absolute last resort though. I think you may be better off soaking some flake food in garlic juice & feeding that to them along with maintianing pristine water conditions. Best you wait to speak to the medications manufacturer on Monday if you are really sure that you need to use it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Thank you. I feel the same way about meds. I'm wary about them. I just get worried when some people say any sign of parasites should be treated asap. Thanks again for your help
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom