Is fish tank stand broken?

Fishowner24

So I got this stand from petco and set it up and one side is higher than the other. Is this stand bad to use since it wobbles a little bit? Are the feet that screw in meant to be adjusted for this situation? Should I return it and build a DIY one? Thanks!

JustAFishServant

Is this stand bad to use since it wobbles a little bit?
I don't know much about that stand but if it has adjustable feet then adjust them. If that doesn't fix the issue then you can fit plywood under the wobbly part to balance it. If that didn't work, try sitting or putting heavy stuff on each corner of the stand to test the strength. If it continues to wobble then I wouldn't use it, but if it stays out or even straightens itself out then great! :)

Dunk2

So I got this stand from petco and set it up and one side is higher than the other. Is this stand bad to use since it wobbles a little bit? Are the feet that screw in meant to be adjusted for this situation? Should I return it and build a DIY one? Thanks!
A picture might help? How much higher is the one side?

Fishowner24

A picture might help? How much higher is the one side?
It doesn't seem to much uneven now. I can use the things on the bottom that I can unscrew to adjust. Should I level the stand out before I put a tank on it? Thanks!

BigManAquatics

I have bought wobbly stands, most are at least the metal ones. Firm as a concrete wall once you put a full tank on them.

Fishowner24

I have bought wobbly stands, most are at least the metal ones. Firm as a concrete wall once you put a full tank on them.
Mine is metal also. Side note my tanks are uneven on one side by like 2/8ths of a inch is that something to worry about? Thanks!

KingOscar

Mine is metal also. Side note my tanks are uneven on one side by like 2/8ths of a inch is that something to worry about? Thanks!
Uneven how and where?

The tank needs to be supported evenly on all frame edges, no gaps between the base of the tank and the top of the stand.

Fishowner24

Uneven how and where?

The tank needs to be supported evenly on all frame edges, no gaps between the base of the tank and the top of the stand.
The water level on one side is higher than the other. There is always a gap on one of my standa because it only supports the corners. Thanks!

Nimbyfish

I've got the 40 gal metal stand that everyone buys. It wasn't level because my tile is weird in the house so I just used a wood shim that you use to install doors. No wobble.

Fishowner24

I've got the 40 gal metal stand that everyone buys. It wasn't level because my tile is weird in the house so I just used a wood shim that you use to install doors. No wobble.
Ok thanks!

FishDin

Can you add a picture? You don't want to shim or level the tank, you want to make the stand level and then put the tank on it. The stand needs to support the whole tank, not just the corners.

SparkyJones

level the stand first, put the tank on it empty and then test if the tank is level from left to right and front to back. Sometimes a tank can be not level, and while the stand is level, the tank isn't and once you've filled it, it's just harder to correct for it.
If the tank isn't level on the stand then you'd adjust the stand to level the tank, So overall the tank is level. it's important the stand is stable (4 legs level with each other and solid to the floor) not so much important that the stand is level, the stand can be out of level as long as the legs are solidly placed and the tank is level.
but it's important that the tank is level so the water doesn't constantly push in any one direction unevenly.

Fishowner24

Can you add a picture? You don't want to shim or level the tank, you want to make the stand level and then put the tank on it. The stand needs to support the whole tank, not just the corners.
Ok thanks! Here I made a video because it is easier to explain
level the stand first, put the tank on it empty and then test if the tank is level from left to right and front to back. Sometimes a tank can be not level, and while the stand is level, the tank isn't and once you've filled it, it's just harder to correct for it.
If the tank isn't level on the stand then you'd adjust the stand to level the tank, So overall the tank is level. it's important the stand is stable (4 legs level with each other and solid to the floor) not so much important that the stand is level, the stand can be out of level as long as the legs are solidly placed and the tank is level.
but it's important that the tank is level so the water doesn't constantly push in any one direction unevenly.
Ok thanks. I heard that if it is a little amount like how mine is it won’t matter but I bet it will matter over time. How do I level the tank now? What will happen if it is like this for to long? Thanks!

Nimbyfish

Do you have a level in the house? I would put the level on the stand and see if it's level. If not level the base of the stand which is what I had to do. I shim or other spacer like a large washer can work to level the stand between the floor and the stand. If it's a good stand (not mine) it will have adjustable feet to screw in or out. Once the stand is level there shouldn't be a gap between the tank and the stand. Mine sits flush on the out rim of the stand and the cross bars in the middle. If the weight of the tank isn't properly supported you risk cracking the tank and making a giant mess.

SparkyJones

home improvement store, like a 1mm thickness rubber or neoprene mat will get you those gaps between the stand and the tank filled in and level it out. check also amazon if you like, they are sold as "self leveling aquarium mat".

you check level on the top of the tank rim with a level, from front to back on the left and right side, and from left to right on front and back sides, just looking for as close to level as you can. the self leveling mat, should in theory compress when the water is added and level the tank basically unless its' extremely out of level.

Fishowner24

home improvement store, like a 1mm thickness rubber or neoprene mat will get you those gaps between the stand and the tank filled in and level it out. check also amazon if you like, they are sold as "self leveling aquarium mat".

you check level on the top of the tank rim with a level, from front to back on the left and right side, and from left to right on front and back sides, just looking for as close to level as you can. the self leveling mat, should in theory compress when the water is added and level the tank basically unless its' extremely out of level.
do I put the mat on the floor or under the fish tank? Thanks!
Do you have a level in the house? I would put the level on the stand and see if it's level. If not level the base of the stand which is what I had to do. I shim or other spacer like a large washer can work to level the stand between the floor and the stand. If it's a good stand (not mine) it will have adjustable feet to screw in or out. Once the stand is level there shouldn't be a gap between the tank and the stand. Mine sits flush on the out rim of the stand and the cross bars in the middle. If the weight of the tank isn't properly supported you risk cracking the tank and making a giant mess.
I have a level but Idk how to check the stand sense the aquarium is on it. will the gap close even though looking at the video on corners pieces are flush and another one sticks up a bit? Thanks!

SparkyJones

do I put the mat on the floor or under the fish tank? Thanks!

I have a level but Idk how to check the stand sense the aquarium is on it. will the gap close even though looking at the video on corners pieces are flush and another one sticks up a bit? Thanks!
the mat goes between the top of the stand and the bottom of the tank.

If you've already gone and filled it and all that jazz and not interested in tearing it down to make it all level, I'd say just leave it as it is, it looks very minor from the video anyways and probably OK enough.

Fishowner24

the mat goes between the top of the stand and the bottom of the tank.

If you've already gone and filled it and all that jazz and not interested in tearing it down to make it all level, I'd say just leave it as it is, it looks very minor from the video anyways and probably OK enough.
ok well I am planning on fixing that stand anyways because the top piece is backwards so it isn't being supported in the middle at all. it has been like this for about 2 years now though. is it probably fine if it has been like that for 2 years or could that still cause it to break later down the road? Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Maxxx
Replies
Views
Mrfister1116
Replies
Views
ghostdawg
Replies
Views