Is Fish Brushing Against Things Normal?

1. matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

Hey, over the past few days I have noticed my fish brushing up against the gravel and decorations, they seem to be fine, and my water levels are good, could this be a sign of ick or is this normal? They don't do it a whole lot just sometimes

2. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Member Member

It's called "flashing."

It could be ich before the visible stage. If so you'll see the white spots appearing soon.

Flashing can be normal, or it can be a sign of something wrong. I've had fish that flashed, but didn't have any signs of disease. An LFS guy I trust told me it's not uncommon for fish to flash marking their territory. I've also seen it with parasites. I wouldn't recommend medicating until you see some other signs of what you might be dealing with.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

What should I use for medicating?

5. DoubleDutch

none till you know what it is.

6. OP
    OP
    matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

They are both 0

7. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

For precaution, the only thing I’d suggest doing is raising the temp a bit. Only for a few days.

8. DoubleDutch

For what exactly?

9. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

If it is ich it will cause them to show up quicker so you can deal with it.

10. OP
    OP
    matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

To what temp? It's already at 80

11. DoubleDutch

Ok and if it is another parasite ?

12. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

That isn't up to me, I was giving one reason for a heat change, not advocating it just a reason behind the other member's advice.

13. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Member Member

Respectfully, it can be confusing, especially to a newbie, when well-meaning people throw a bunch of random possibilities out there. I had a rant not long ago where I listed off 15 different instructions on a single thread that had been given to a person asking about how to treat a sick fish. I know everyone was trying to help, but the original poster was getting frustrated at all the different suggestions coming in from all directions. I can understand why.

I think I see where DoubleDutch is coming from. I agree with the concept that you shouldn’t do anything to change or medicate the water until you have an educated guess as to what, if anything, is wrong. There are dozens of possible ailments and treatments, but the most important thing in treatment is the diagnosis, which might be that the fish is perfectly healthy.

I think lots of preventable problems in aquariums are caused by the desire to do something, anything!, when something appears unusual. When there’s not an educated guess what is going on, and the fishkeeper launches a treatment strategy, instead of trying to diagnose the problem they’re just waiting to see whether the treatment works. It short-circuits the diagnosis phase.

I can say with confidence if the problem is ich you’ll see it within a couple days. It wouldn’t hurt to have some ich medication on hand if you don’t already, but I wouldn’t use it until you’re pretty sure that’s what you’re dealing with.

14. DoubleDutch

Agree. Scrap possible causes one by one.

Ammonia/nitrites done
    Chloramine next
    Ich / external parasites next
    Worms next

15. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Member Member

Did you recently add a new fish to your tank? Or any other changes? The most common reason for ich is adding in a fish that has it but doesn't show yet.

16. OP
    OP
    matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

It's been about four weeks since I added any fish

17. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Member Member

Four weeks doesn't eliminate ich as a possibility, but it lowers the odds.

Are you using an API Master Test Kit? If you're using test strips, those can be unreliable.

What are your nitrates?

18. OP
    OP
    matt 63

matt 63 Member Member

Yes I use the API master test kit, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0, my pH went from 8.0 to 8.4 in the last two weeks. I hope there is nothing wrong, I done had ich one time and it about wiped the whole tank out, so hopefully I'm just over reacting lol