Question Is feeding by-product from trout I caught okay as a treat?

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I regularly catch trout (stocked and wild) and eat them at home, which produces a decent amount of by-product I have no interest in. Could I feed any of this as an occasional treat to my fish?

I have a Betta, a community tank where lemon Tetras would be my target with the treat, and an axolotl.

In terms of by-product, specifically I mean skin/bones/facial organs or meat/fins/some meat.

I can use fresh or frozen trout (I generally freeze before I eat to kill parasites).

What would be the best way to prepare something like this? I was looking into making snail food with gelatin from boiling the bones/skin, but that's honestly pretty involved and I'm hoping for something a little simpler

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fae said:
In terms of by-product, specifically I mean skin/bones/facial organs or meat/fins/some meat.
I'm pretty sure they'd like some fish meat, but the other stuff like skin, bones, fins and facial organs probably not so much. Could even be dangerous, but I'm no expert.

OP
Fae

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haha seems so weird to feed them trout meat, like I know there's fish in their foods and such but to just give them flesh seems odd XD I'll totally do it tho

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have found human grade seafood to be cheaper than frozen pet food. ( and I suggest prepared in more hygienic conditions ?)
I see no problem with trout .
Most of my fish are 2 inches or smaller. I use a mortar and pestle to grind up mussels etc. I am removing anything that does not grind into a paste.
For my little fish skin would be to big.
fish eggs would be a treat for sure.
i have no idea about axototi food.

AquaJunkie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Be careful they don’t choke on a BONE

“stay fishy “

New Threads