Is Fasting Actually Good?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Daniel Kraus, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Daniel Kraus Valued Member Member

so I’ve been reading and doing research and I’ve been trying to make sure my fish get the right amount of food and evrything. I noticed on lots of places it said fast the fish for a day or two every week. I decided it was probably best for me to try, and it seems to have ended poorly. I’ve seen that people fast mostly to keep tanks clean but my cories and black shark clean t spotless every night, and now I skipped today and both my tetras and black shark are being incredibly aggressive as compared to normal behavior. So is the fasting really worth it?

2. xiholdtruex Well Known Member Member

I believe fasting is good for the fish when constipated or over fed, if you feed the right amount there should be no fasting unless, on meds for worms and the such.

3. Daniel Kraus Valued Member Member

Well from what I’ve read it’s just been normal to do it. But my fish eat a lot of food especially my shark. I fed him and now he’s all happy and leaving evrything alone.

4. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I do not fast my fish, but then again I'm also careful not to over feed them.

5. Daniel Kraus Valued Member Member

I feed mine quite a lot and they eat all of it and have never shown signs of bloating or any problems with it. Whatever the cories don’t get during the day my shark gets at night and my tank gravel is spotless every morning without fail. I just didn’t know it would cause so much aggression to not feed them for just one day.

6. ChuthuluFish Well Known Member Member

fasting is good if you over feed ALOT like me. I do it once or sometimes twice a week and everyones always swimming and happy

7. Daniel Kraus Valued Member Member

It almost seems like I can’t over feed all my fish handle the food really well. I’m not going to push their limits but 3 times a day seems good for them.

8. ChuthuluFish Well Known Member Member

and if you have plants and you fast the fish. you might have smaller leaves go missing on plants like the really small leaves om my anubius nana

9. Daniel Kraus Valued Member Member

Yeah I didn’t want to do plants just not my thing. So they just kinda pecked at the gravel all day hoping for scraps.

10. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

If your fish don’t handle the fasting, you could just do peas instead. They will clean out their systems, working as a laxative. It is a good preventative treatment. I feed my fish peas once a week, after fasting for 24 hours. But you don’t have to fast your fish to feed them peas. It sounds like it could be a better option for your tank.

11. emma Valued Member Member

I fast my fish usually one day a week - sometimes two.
    However I don't do this to keep my tank clean - my fish rely upon me to do that.
    I have a planted tank and they sometimes graze on some of the plants if they are hungry...or not.
    I do this bc really it seems to work for them - and for me. Even though I don't believe I overfeeding I worry about possible bloat or constipation issues. And there may be times when there's an emergency and I can't feed them or my family and I are out of town. I want them kind of familiar with short fasts.
    I don't fast them if they happen to be sick or if I have fry.

12. scarface Fishlore VIP Member

It’s certainly good for people, but not sure how that translates to other animals. Considering I think most people generally overfeed their fish, then, in that regard, yes it is good to do regularly. If not disease and a myriad of other causes of premature death, I recall reading that many relatively well cared for fish die from fatty tissue around the organs, something that isn’t generally found in wild fish specimens.