is every thing ok

kanesta1

I have a 75gal with a fluval405 with a tetra tec uv5 sterilizer not on right now, and a aqua clear 110. for air flow I have tetra tech deep marine air pump I have 5 convicts 3 female and 2 male 2 pair laid eggs one set hatched already, 3 jewel fish, 2 jack dempseys, 2 tiger barbs, 1 blue acara, 1 green terror, 1 red devil, 1 fire mouth,1 pleco. my ammo reading is 8.0, nitrite 1.0, nitrate 0.25. I use cycle and another product call bio zyme for bacteria but the ammo stays high idid a 25% water change 4 days ago and I did a 50% 2 days ago can someone tell if I have problem here or should I just be patient

kanesta1

got rid of the bubbles but my water readings or strange I'm in the third week of cycling ammo 8.0 ,nitrite 1.0, an, nitrate.25 I have a 75gal with a fluval 405 and a aqua clear110 on it I'm using cycleand bio zyme for bacteria and I did 2 water changes in the last 4 days 25% and a 50% what am I doing wrong

hopesmom

Re: I think I have to many fish

keep doing water changes until your ammonia and nitrite readings are at zero...it's a drag, I know, but that's the only way I was able to keep my fish alive during cycling...that's a really high ammonia reading.. I would do large water changes 40 - 50% every day to get it down, but that's me. Sounds like a lot of fish (really cool ones, too!) but I'm not sure have large some of those get, so not sure if it is too many. Calculate how big each fish will be when full grown (I use the 1" per gallon rule), and think about if it is a big poop machine (like my pleco), and how much swimming room each species needs (some need a whole lot to be happy), and you'll be able to determine if you need to get another tank or give some fish away or get more fish or whatever.
best wishes,
denise

kanesta1

thanks d ill keep up the water changes. I'm planning on buying some bio-spira and adding that hope that will work. fish look find I had them in a 55gal but my partner told me they needed more room so I up graded to the 75gal my convicts laid eggs one set hatched they are rivaling with the other set and my other cichlids look fine some are showing off there colors and there real active I have 32 fish all together 15 in my 75gal --13 in my 55gal --and 5 in my 30gal 4 the last month and about a week now some are older and I haven't lost a fish yet I quess these guys r pretty hardy they are hanging in there are they like my wife they love watching me spend money on them I love them.

Jmarcus

Sorry to say but all is well. At three weeks your readings are in line. In order to keep your fish alive you must do daily, major water changes. This will more than likely add to your cycling time. My guess is that you are looking at total of at least eight weeks cycle time. Be patient,good luck, and wellcome to FishLore.

chickadee

The Cycle and BioZyme are a waste of time, effort, money and probably holding back the whole process. I am sorry to say but they are a different bacteria strain than the one that you are going to want to inhabit the filter. The manufacturer and the store love to sell it to you because once you start it, you have to keep it up or you minI cycle. It would be my recommendation to get rid of it now and go back to the purely natural way of doing it now. Can you tell me what you are doing to cycle the tank? There are several methods, are you cycling with fish? This is what the post sounded like. If you are and the ammonia is at 8 then you are going to have to do more than 25% and 50% water changes and that will indeed slow you down. Fish cannot handle an ammonia of more than 1. Your cycle is progressing or you would not have nitrites and nitrates unless they are present in your tap water, but the ammonia level is way out of line and it should never get that high.

Are you testing every day? If the readings are that far off then I would be testing morning and night and doing daily water changes. You need to do an immediate 75% water change if you have fish in there and get the ammonia level down and then don't add any more of the Cycle and BioZyme. Using fish to cycle is the long way around, it would have gone faster and easier to cycle fishless but it is too late for that now. There is nothing for it but to do the water changes to protect the fish and take the time to cycle the tank slowly so that it will hold the cycle with no problems to come back to haunt you later. Believe me, I did use Cycle and had many regrets to live through later on my first tank. My fish suffered for it and so did I. The only winners with these products are the ones selling them.

Welcome to Fishlore.com. I do hope that some of this has been helpful. This is a good site to come to for help and we do try to start everyone out with the best chance of a good experience of keeping their fish if we can. Good luck and keep us posted. If there is anything else you need help with please let us know and would you please keep us up on your progress. Thanks.

Rose

Isabella

I agree with Hopesmom. I'd also perform 50% water changes every day, if I were you, until ammonia = 0 and nitrite = 0. Even low ammonia and nitrite concentrations can easily make fish sick or even kill them. This is why it's important to perform the water changes.

If you want to know whether your tanks are overstocked, look up the adult sizes of all of your fish. Then add up all of their sizes and if the total number is larger than the number of gallons of water in your tank, then it is overstocked. But this is according to the 1" rule. Remember that 10 - 20 small fish like neon tetras (which are 1" in size) will not produce as much waste as ONE convict, for example, will. This is because a convict is very massive, and the more massive the fish, the more wastes it produces and the more space it needs in a tank. So when you're doing your calculations, you must take this aspect into account.

Isabella

Kanesta, maybe the replies in your other thread will be useful to you: .

kanesta1

chickadee ive been doing water changes for the last two days my ammo is the same nitrite went down to .25 and nitrate went to zero u say I should do a 75% water change is that good for the fish I two pair of convicts in there with fry one set laid there's about a week an a half ago the others this week the young seem to be doing fine none lost yet water was milky started clearing up today after the water change and I'm using stress coat for my water conditioner so you say stop using the cycle and the bio zyme I also use a product call stress zyme the fish look fine but this water is driving me crazy but I'm hanging in there ill do the 75% water change tomorrow and ill see what happens oh an when I'm doing these water changes I have rocks in the tank should I take them out every time I do a water change so I can get to the gravel are just change water an clean gravel were I can get to thanks for the help everybody

chickadee

Your cycle is going to be totally out of kilter with all the things you are adding to that tank.  All of those products other than the StressCoat need to be stopped!  You have so many things swimming around in there it is a wonder that the cycle is going forward at all.  Every one of the things you have mentioned advertizes that it hurries the cycle along but no product on the market today is proven to increase the speed of a cycle other than Bio-spira.  You have too many fish in the tank and the tank is not cycled and to have fry yet...you have to do the large water changes for the fry if nothing else.  You may be well into the next year before you have a cycle.

I am going to try to merge some of your topics as here again, you have so many different topics going all dealing with the same thing, it is confusing just trying to keep up with what is said where.

I am sorry you are having all this trouble, but there is no way out now but to go through it.  That means take care of the fish first and worry about the cycle second.  Taking care of the fish is going to mean LARGE water changes.  I would suggest switching to Amquel+ (not plain Amquel) for your water conditioner as it neutralizes the effects of ammonia during cycling.  Now it may not help a lot with those readings but it will help more than the StressCoat.  If you are running ammonia levels that high you also need to have airstones running to keep the water moving, if you do not already have them. 

Another thing here, two days of water changes is not even going to begin to handle the situation. Once there are fry involved, you do daily water changes for several weeks (at least 50%). You have to keep your water parameters near perfect through water changes or your fry will be deformed or die. I know none of these things are what you are wanting to hear but it is way past time to worry about trying to hurry things along.

Rose

kanesta1

I did a 75% water change today before I did I had a reading of ammo 8.0 , nitrite 1.0, and nitrate 5.0 after water change ammo 2.0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 0. should I doanother big water change or should I 50% for now. things are looking a little better ill keep you all posted.

kanesta1

I did a 50% water change today before my readings where 2.0 nitrite .50 nitrate 0 after I did the water change ammo 1.0 nitrite .25 nitrate 0 things are starting to look real good and water is pretty clear thanx for the help I'm cycling three diffrent tanks right now my 75, 55, 30 I'm going threw **** right now but its cool I enjoy it

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom