Is Ethoxyquin A True Concern? Question

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by RachelNoel, Apr 13, 2018.

1. RachelNoel

RachelNoel Valued Member Member

I know that by law, Ethoxyquin is used as a preservative in imported fish. So you really can't get around it. I heard somewhere that NLS no longer uses it, but I'll take that with a grain of salt. My concern is with foods that have it listed as an ingredient like Omega One. If it were listed as an ingredient, would that mean it would contain more Ethoxyquin than foods that do not list it?

And is it a concern at all? I doubt that it is in such a significant amount to actually cause harm. But it could build up in the body over time...
    Does anyone know more about this? Any scientists here?

2. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Following, I'd love to hear some additional research around this.

3. OP
    OP
    RachelNoel

RachelNoel Valued Member Member

Personally I wouldn't risk it given the chance, and as soon as a move out (whenever that will be. Overprotective parents are great) I will be breeding/culturing my own fish food. But for now I want to find the least risky food for my future betta.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice