Is Drew just lazy?

janoue
Ok Drew my newest addition is a CT betta. He seems to sleep everywhere to the point where I think he's dead about 20 times a day. He sleeps on his bridge, under his bridge, on top of his plants and even just lays at the bottom of his tank. I am sooooooo worried about him. I am thinking maybe parasites but he still has a hardy appitite. What is with drew? He seems to want to lay down and snooze wherever his tank is getting the most sunlight, like a cat. Do I have a sick betta, or a betta that thinks he's a feline?
Jan

janoue
Meanwhile, my husband who hasn't taken to any of my betta's has fallen right in love with this one !!! And he really ins't into fish at all but I catch him in my office all the time, talking away and laughing at him.

chickadee
Can you post tank temperature and water parameters? Also can you let us know is he still having problems with the big lips and all? He could have a problem with fungal infection and need a med. They can become a little sluggish when they do not feel well but if he is eating he is not feeling too sick.

But not swimming is not necessarily a big problem but needs to be looked at. I think you mentioned eyes and lips in another post. Is it Drew you were speaking of? If so then he needs a med like Maracyn II for a while to treat Columnaris and it will also treat eye problems if he has them.

Rose

Please keep us informed of his progress.

Tazmiche
My boy Spot isn't very active at all, he lounges around ALOT. Maybe if he isn't ill he finally feels safe and can relax!! Funny though about your husband, when I moved back with my folk after my ex and I split my Dad thought I was nuts keeping fish BUT it is Spot that he now adores!! Must be a bond between men and chilled out fish!!!

PrettyPink08
My fish just lays around too!!
I think he's getting old but idk!
But I have glow in the dark plants and I can see him moving around more@ night then during the day!
Silly fish has his clock backwards!!

janoue
I have treated him with parasite clear and maractyn plus. He seems to be doing much better. Yes it was drew I was talking about in the other post. He isn't laying around at all now, but last night he was having flashes from the parasites but that has cleared up now as well. I am going to do a 50 percent water change, and I know a lot of people in here disagree with using freshwater salt, but Ilike to use just a few grains in with my bettas. Since I stoped using it that's when they all started to get sick on me. I don't use enough to effect them but I use enough to keep anything that might be living (like a parasite) away from them. I personally think its a good idea. My boys are my jewels. Its in my budget to be moving them into 6 gallon eclype's by the end of the month with heaters. They have 3 gallons each right now, but I know they are not as happy as they could be. I can hardly wait to get them set up!!! Even though they get frequent water changes, (daily I go in and take out any uneaten food and do a 25 percent water change) He seems to be really sensitive to light right now. I turned the light on in my office and he started flashing again. UGH. Anywho. I know a lot of ya's will have lots to say ,so i'm waiting.
Jan

COBettaCouple
Does he have spots that appear golden if you shine light on them? Almost like ich.

LuvaBetta
Its in my budget to be moving them into 6 gallon eclype's by the end of the month with heaters.Jan

Do they have heaters now?

janoue
No heaters yet. Just keeping them in the warmest room of the house.

chickadee
If he is flashing more in the light he may have Velvet. Please do what Dave asked and turn off the lights in the room and get a flashlight and check him in a dark room. If he has little gold colored flecks like gold dust on him he has Velvet. It is a light reactive parasite that will not be bothered in the least by putting salt in the water and you will want to have him completely in the dark like I mean covered by dark garbage bags so dark to keep the parasite from receiving any light to keep it going.

They are killed by raising the temperature to 82 degrees and keeping the place dark and getting a medication specifically made to treat Velvet and that type of Parasitic diseases. The most common med for treatment of Velvet and the only one that I know that really works is Coppersafe but it does cause problems later in the tank that you use it in. That tank can not ever be used for fish that are Copper sensitive as Copper is not ever able to be removed from a tank. It is also recommended that he be treated for a month if he has it as the lifecycle is a month and one dose of this med lasts a month. Since he is in a tank that is unheated and uncycled (?) this will be a bit complicated by water changes. You will need to go through a lot of complicated dosing to keep the water levels at the correct dose amounts and also he cannot have a lot of light while the changes are taking place or during feeding times as light perpetuates the disease process. The parasite lives on light as well as the fish.

I am truly praying BIG prayers that he does NOT have Velvet. We had a member LZ Floyd who had a fish with Velvet and he went through a lot getting him pulled through it in an uncycled tank.

Rose

janoue
I may pick up a bigger tank this weekend. I Love drew so much he is such a doll. I will keep him covered and go to my lfs to get some of the copper meds. Thanks for your help. He seems to be doing better this morning. He is actually out and about.

janoue
I just did the flashlight test and no gold flecks. Actually he looks so much better than he did the before.

chickadee
If he does not have gold flecks then he does not have Velvet and does not have to have the Coppersafe. I would not use it on him if he does not have it. You can also not cover him if he is Velvet free. But unless he is 100% recovered I would not place him in the new tank as you may be transferring a problem into a healthy tank. He may just be neediing some quality time with his mommy and you can try just giving him an extra pea treat to give him some more attention and see if this perks him up. Bettas pout and carry on when they do not get the attention they think they need and also if his temperature is not at 80 degrees you may consider raising it a bit. Marty Jr.'s tank fell to 78 and he has been lethargic and does not want to be active. He was even constipated and would not touch his peas. I was so worried and all I was able to do was raise the temperature to 81 and he is up and running today and doing much better. It raises their metabolism and makes them feel more active so the increase in temperature will sometimes work wonders.

Rose

COBettaCouple
How is Drew doing today?

janoue
He seems to be doing a better. He ate for me today. After me saying over and over "drew mommy is begging you to eat please please please !!" so he did. He seems completely back to what I assume is normal for him. He seems more alert and more into what's going on around him. I am give him another week before moving him.
JanO

COBettaCouple
Glad to hear it. Hope he keeps being a good Drew for his Betta mommy. ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BananaBean
Replies
Views
NaveenS
Replies
Views