Is Dexter Bloated?

1. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

I apologize that the picture is blurry. I was trying to get close enough to show the bulge and unfortunately it made it so the picture is not as clear as I would like.

As I hope you can see, his tummy looks quite large.

I just noticed it today so it is quite recent.

Is he bloated? If so, how long do I wait before thawing and shelling a pea? If he is not bloated, any suggestions what the problem is?

He is still swimming around like a bullet, but it just looks so uncomfortable I want to do something for him.

Attached Files:

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It's hard to tell from the pic but a pea treat won't hurt. I give peas once a week as a treat even if my fish aren't bloated.
    Give a couple of bits of thawed shelled frozen pea today then fast for a day or so and repeat if you think he's constipated.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

whats his normal diet? he does look severely bloated or hes just a piglet like mine LOL

if he has any type of freeze dried foods, without soaking them first, that can cause it as well....I would fast him for 2 days, then 2 days of just pieces of pea 2-3 times a day...see if that makes him any better!
    hes such a handsome boy!

4. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

I rotate between freeze dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and pellets. I will definitely fast him Friday and maybe even Saturday and then try peas on Sunday.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Edit: I had absolutely no idea I was supposed to soak the freezedried bloodworms first. Do I soak them in tank a cup of tank water? For how long?

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

take the freeze dried foods and pellets, and soak them in fresh garlic juice until they swell then cut them up a bit.....then the swelling isnt in their belly ...I wish him well!

6. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

Do I get garlic juice at a regular food store?

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I use the jars of garlic all chopped up in your grocery veggie section...the juice in there is awesome...and you can cut small pieces of garlic to feed them once a week too..but mine seem to not like the garlic alone but love their food soaked in it...freeze dried foods sometimes tend to bloat them as they swell inside their tiny bellys..so if you soak and swell it prior, its less likely to harm them..none of my bettas can have anything freeze dried as they really bloat up on me :( but now and then i sneak them some freeze dried krill just soaked tho