40 Gallon Tank Is death of my pleco the cause for my other fish's sickness?

Ereni

My pleco died behind the filter for reasons unknown. I saw it lying there yesterday, and had my suspicions that it was dead. However, I wasn't sure since there wasn't any reason why it might have died so I didn't check on it. Today, I went to check my fish and discovered that all of my blood-red cichlids have some white stuff on them. It didn't look like ick, and they were all stationary and didn't eat. I put in some medication (copper power) and took out the pleco, which was in fact dead. The next day, all of the fish were fine (some had a little white on them but were acting normally) but for three. One looked fine but was acting strange, it was swimming vertically, looking down at the gravel. Another was swimming near the top, but the last fish was completely covered in white. I took that one out to be quarantined.

Do any of you guys know what is going on? And what kind of sickness the white spots might be? I treated them with fungal and bacterial medications, and they seem to be working.

awilkinson871

Sorry to hear about your pleco. The first thing I would do is check your ammonia levels. A dead fish will cause ammonia levels to rise and that can cause serious issues to other fish. You may need to do a water change and possibly more than one depending on the levels. The white could be fungus as it will start growing on dead fish and loves higher ammonia levels. If your water parameters are off the fungus is likely to go away once they are back under control.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dawn Michele
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
  • Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies