Is cuttlebone good for raising kH without raising pH too much?

Lucifer93

My 26 gallon tank has been cycling for about 5 weeks now, and it looks like the tank is almost ready now (nitrites reached zero for the first time today, yay). However, my tap water is extremely low (probably less than <1 kH). In order to combat this, I've been adding a teaspoon of baking soda into some dechlorinated water and added it into the tank after I do a large water change. While my kH has been okay, at around 4 kH or so, the baking soda also drastically increases my pH (at least an extra .6 degrees every time I add the baking soda solution into the tank). My tap water pH is 7.2, however my pH usually reaches around 7.8 or 8 after adding baking soda (I do have an airstone in the tank, so I know it increases my pH, but I don't think it would increase my pH that much).

So I'm thinking of using something else to raise kH without raising my pH too much, and I'm thinking that using cuttlebone might be a good idea. However, I would like to hear from others if cuttlebone would be the best option for my tank's long term future.

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some suggestions today

Bob_STL

Following - Also interested in ideas

david1978

Cuttle bone woundnt dissolve fast enough to do any good. Wonder shells or the stuff to reminerize rodI water would be the route I would try.

Lucifer93

Cuttle bone woundnt dissolve fast enough to do any good. Wonder shells or the stuff to reminerize rodI water would be the route I would try.
Good to know, but I decided to go the crushed coral route a week ago. Getting good results so far.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
  • Question
Replies
Views
michaelsf90
Replies
Views
FathomtheFish