Is CO2 required?

1. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

I have a new 38 gal curved front tank. It came with a heater and penguin 200 filter. We also got a volcano that contains an LED light and a bubble ring so we got an air pump to go with it. I currently have it planted out pretty heavily with a variety of plants. There is quite a bit of flow in the tank from the filter and the volcano (opposite sides of tank). I'm just reading about CO2 and wondering if it's required or if I can get by with the fish and the air pump. My substrate is the eco gravel that comes tank ready with live bacteria. My pH is around 7.2-7.4, temp around 75-76 and ammonia is holding at 0. Livestock includes swordtails, glo tetras, guppies and platy. Shrimp on the way. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

What light are you using? Are you using the light that came with the hood?

3. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

The light that came with the tank is an LED light but I got another to sit on top of the glass that has a plant bulb in it.

4. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I would say no. CO2 dosing is for med-high to high light tanks. I am curious about your plants. 1. what plant is to the right of the of the bamboo hut?

5. PaulieWoz Member Member

It depends on what plants you currently have, what light and if you are adding any fertilizers.

People start adding pressurized co2 because they want to grow high demand plants. If you have low light plants then you can grow them perfectly fine without it.

You can also start adding excel which has glutaraldehyde which acts as co2 but no where near as effective as the real thing.

6. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Honestly, I'm really not sure what all I have. I've gotten everything so far from petco or pet smart. Most were in the gel packs but that particular one (the light green spear looking one) was a live water plant from petco. It was in a bunch with the bamboo stick and the green round leaf on a stem one behind the volcano.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is the light and plant food I'm using. I'm dosing according to the instructions.

7. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I have seen plants like that one before, but it was variegated. I am thinking that is a terrarium plant and not an aquatic plant. I would really like to know what it is. In addition, the dark green plant in the extreme left front appears to be some type of Anubias. Ensure that the rhizome is above the substrate...it is OK to submerge the roots, but the rhizome needs to be above the substrate.

8. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

It was fully submerged in their water tanks for plants. And thanks. I'll make sure it's not planted too deep.

[​IMG]

I found the tag! The only one from the pic that looks like what I got was the variegated one on the top.

9. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, Petco does that. The plant will live for a time submerged, but it will die long term if it is what I suspect. In addition, the Lucky Bamboo will die if it is submerged...the leaf blades need to have air.

That is not an Aquatic plant!

Question: Do you have Dwarf Hair grass? That requires High light and CO2. You are not setup for that.

10. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Well dang! Guess I'll be moving those to a different spot then! Thanks for the info! I really need to do more plant research!

11. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

12. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I've ordered some random aquarium seeds from Ali so we will see what all I get when they come in. It was mainly for experimental purposes. I'm planning on setting up a second tank (maybe later today).

Ugh. I think it is. Man I wish there was more info on the packages when you buy this stuff! It seems to be doing well so far so I guess we will see.

13. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

14. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

15. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

16. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

17. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

18. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

19. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

20. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member