Is Co2 Necessary

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Rj Forster, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Rj ForsterValued MemberMember

I have a 5 gallon semi-heavy planted tank. I bought a finnex planted led light thinking that my plants just needed extra light for photosynthesis. However 3 weeks has gone by and i dont feel they are any healthier.
    I use root tabs, co2 booster, leaf booster, and the light. Is it possible i need to add CO2 because the amount of plants are consuming it all? All i have is a betta in the tank so there is a very small bioload. I really would like some nice looking plants

2. OP
    OP
    R

Rj ForsterValued MemberMember

3. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Is it the finnex fugeray planted clip light?
    I'd say you're only lightly to moderately planted, but you need better ferts.

4. OP
    OP
    R

Its the 12 inch model. Has red leds as well as white and blue.
    What better ferts do you suggest?

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you list the plants you have in there?

I see some Java fern. Those should not be planted in the gravel - they'll actually die if their rhizomes are buried. They're also slow growers, so you won't see much progress on a day to day basis.

6. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Nilocg Thrive, easy green from aquarium co-op, or Seachem's line of flourish, nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium

7. OP
    OP
    R

8. TexasDomer

Neither should be planted, and that's why they're not doing well. Take both out of the substrate and either rest them on top or tie them to decor.

Your ferts should be just fine for them. I don't think you need to get additional ferts. They don't need root tabs though.

9. OP
    OP
    R

Im going to get some small wood stakes a tie them to that

10. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

How long do you leave the light on for? What is the exact model?
    Leaf zone and flourish are good products, thrive and easy green are slightly better due to the NPK balance. Truthfully you will probably be fine with what you have for now.
    How often are you dosing?
    As Texas mentioned the rhizome of your plants needs to be above the substrate or it will rot. It is ok to have just the roots planted, but I've found they do much better mounted to something.
    Be careful with stakes as they can tear your bettas fins, and may not be made for aquariums. You can tie them to driftwood, rocks, or your current decor instead.
    The co2 booster is also unnecessary for your plants, but more then likely is controlling your algae.
    I would pull up the plants from the gravel, wipe down the leaves and clean the glass, followed by a 50% water change to help reset the nutrients and remove some algae from your tank. I wouldn't dose ferts more then once a week, and I would keep the light on for 6-8 hrs at most (this will depend on which model finnex you have, some produce higher light then others)

11. Kevin BurkeNew MemberMember

Im looking for some similar advice. I have a 23litre fluval edge. I currently have one anubias nana 1 java fern 2 anubias bonsai. All plants seem to be doings ok. I am looking to add some moss and 2 more anubias pinto plants. At what point should i be thinking of adding CO2? I add fertiliser and plants seem to be doing well. They get about 8 hours of bright led light and the rest blue led. Thanks

12. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

13. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

None of the plants you have need it. Are you using the stock lighting? I've heard those are really low lights, so CO2 wouldn't benefit too much anyways.

14. TexasDomer

@Kevin Burke you should start your own thread so we're not hijacking OP's thread.

15. Kevin BurkeNew MemberMember

Sorry thought i was doing right by not creating a new one. Lesson learnt!

16. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

So I would recommend getting the rhizomes out of the water. You also look like, is that diatoms on the java fern? Not the stringy stuff (thats baby java fern) the brown patches. I may pull the fern out and clean with hydrogen peroxide, rinse and then place on a rock or other decor, tied with fishing line. But all of those are very slow growers. So don't overdo it with lighting or you will be hammered with algae.

Is this a new tank?

By the way, those are good low light plant choices.

17. TexasDomer

You mean substrate? ;)

18. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Dooooh... hey hadn't had coffee yet. Plus my wife thinks I should only drink one cup per day.... that's eleven cups shirt for me... so.... lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice