Is Chicken Wire Aquarium Safe?

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm trying to make a floating sort of island in my aquarium using chicken wire as the base. Is chicken wire aquarium safe? I'm hoping it is, because I have a whole roll of the stuff. If not, is there any way to make it aquarium safe?

Any input would be appreciated

James17

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No, it will rust and cause all kinds of problems.
I can't think of a way to make it safe either.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No, it will rust and cause all kinds of problems.
I can't think of a way to make it safe either.
Aw, that sucks. What if I coated it with clear nail polish or something similar?

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There's lots of plastics that could be used! A home improvement store will have them in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Geno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I cant remember which store i saw it in but home depot or lowes has a plastic mesh similar to chicken wire would be fish safe should work the same.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't try it, what are you trying to float?
I was trying to make something like this:
image.jpeg

The person who made the scape said he used a grid for the base of the island and my mind immediately jumped to chicken wire.
I'm just mad at myself for not thinking this through before buying a huge roll of wire:banghead:
I'll see if I can find some solid plastic mesh, the store I was at had plastic mesh but it was way too soft to hold its shape.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I know, and I have tons of Java moss and little bits of driftwood so I'm excited to try it (if my parents let me get more netting:rolleyes. I was going to attach the grid to suction cups with crazy glue, tie the moss on with fishing line, and glue some driftwood on as well to make a couple of smallish islands.
Thanks for the help everyone!

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's a mesh used for needlepoint that's plastic and pretty cheap. I think it comes in a variety of colors too.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was actually thinking of using styrofoam, but I was concerned about it showing through the moss and it would also probably be more difficult to attach the moss to. Maybe if I glued small pieces of gravel to it it would look better...

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The mesh for needlepoint would be a great idea, or even egg crate (plastic, larger grid that you can get from a hardware store). You could superglue mesh or egg crate to styrofoam (to help it float), and attach the moss to the mesh or egg crate.

fishfiles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Embroidery mesh like this? With the largest holes you can find. Could even cut them larger if needed.
I used one of these as a divider in my tank one time. Definitely sturdy enough (the hard plastic type).

Geno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Use a piece of stainless steel mesh with a suction cup attatched to the back ,then grow whatever you like on it ,theres a you tube video on it .

Silister Trench

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was trying to make something like this:
View attachment 351177
The person who made the scape said he used a grid for the base of the island and my mind immediately jumped to chicken wire.
I'm just mad at myself for not thinking this through before buying a huge roll of wire:banghead:
I'll see if I can find some solid plastic mesh, the store I was at had plastic mesh but it was way too soft to hold its shape.
He used a grid and siliconed hardscape to it with a type of arm holding it in place, which was mounted outside of the tank if I remember correctly. It gives the illusion that it's floating in the tank, while being fastened in place. I'd forget about "floating" the island, because a floating top-heavy island of hardscape and doom bouncing off the glass panels in a tank sounds like a really bad idea, and give the illusion it floats like the artist did.

I think TexasDomer gave you a great suggestion with egg crates,or the like, then you could apply one of those plastic mesh pieces to close the larger empty spaces.

If it were me I'd use the egg crates, and either wood or lava rock as a hardscape, using water-column-feeding plants like the artist did to cover it. That'd be the island. The problem is securing a floating island, without allowing it to float freely and bashing into your glass panels, scratching or chipping it.

If you want a real floating island you can use pumice stone. Eventually the stone will become waterlogged and sink, though.

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Embroidery mesh like this? With the largest holes you can find. Could even cut them larger if needed.
I used one of these as a divider in my tank one time. Definitely sturdy enough (the hard plastic type).
That's the stuff! With a little work and a heat gun I think you could mold it too if you want a more complex shape than easilydone with eggcrate.
If you want a real floating island you can use pumice stone. Eventually the stone will become waterlogged and sink, though.
Nah pumice you're only looking at days before it sinks. I have a football sized rock in my tank. Only took a weekish to sink. Nice and light in the tank though.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you for the great suggestions everyone! Everything's closed today for the long weekend but I'll see if I can find some of the materials you suggested as soon as I can

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Riccia makes a great floating island...
f127a603ba5be7e7241b0526c777d837.jpg

e787a94157ee0099340847f9a8788f48.jpg

(Excuse the blue and orange gravel, my sons tank...no longer in existence)

I will see if I can grab a photo today of some the i have growing around water Sprite, changes the look with long roots hanging down and Sprite leaves inside....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom