Is buying used worth it?

Nianichole

I'm looking into adding another tank to my collection. Not any time soon, just browsing I guess you'd say. Something in the 40 breeder to 55 gallon range. In your experience, is it worth it to hold out for something used on the cheap? Or does that just turn into more work/expense?

Do you wait for a dollar/gallon or 50% off sale instead (anyone know when probable dates for the next one)?

What about other used aquarium equipment? Like filters, lights, and heaters. Do you regret buying those used and wish you'd just gone for new?

Thanks!

BigManAquatics

Lights and aquariums aren't so bad used, sometimes filters. I wouldn't mess with used heaters myself.

Worth it to hold out though? Depends on how hard up you are. If there is a $1/gal sale going on or soon upcoming, i would do that myself. You could be waiting months/years for a good used sale!

Upvote 0

Quiche

One just happened during March, I believe - just missed it!

Petco's dollar per gallon sale runs 4 times a year, roughly corresponding to the seasons. For the past few years, there's always been one in December or January, March, June or July, and September. Lately, though, they've switched to a strict Jan/Mar/July/September calendar, so my bet would be on July.

Depending on your budget, I think it's a worth it to wait - 50% off new 40/55 gallon tanks is $50/75 dollars off, could upgrade your lights or get a buckload of plants for that

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

My experiences with used equipment have been pretty bad. Almost every tank I bought used leaked after a few weeks. Only one lonely used 10g made the cut

I realized that I can just get new tanks for the same price as used if I order from the right places, so now I do that. I live in Canada though and things are more expensive here

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Sounds like patience waiting for the right stuff at the right price is the way to go. Funny how so much with fishkeeping is patience, haha.

Sad I barely missed the petco sale! I'll be watching for its return sometime this summer.

Upvote 0

Nate32

Lights and aquariums aren't so bad used, sometimes filters. I wouldn't mess with used heaters myself.

Worth it to hold out though? Depends on how hard up you are. If there is a $1/gal sale going on or soon upcoming, i would do that myself. You could be waiting months/years for a good used sale!

When there's a dollar a gallon sale going on it helps to call different stores in the area to see what they have in stock and for additional sales. I picked up my 75 gallon tank for 50 bucks at petco. It was an additional 50 percent off the sale price.

Upvote 0

Corylover123

Used is better I got a complete brand new 40 breeder setup for 60$ tank stand filter heater light and a Crapton of decorations because the owners didn’t know a 40 breeder was 36x18” so they sold it all XD
I’d ask a local fish club for stuff

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Used is better I got a complete brand new 40 breeder setup for 60$ tank stand filter heater light and a Crapton of decorations because the owners didn’t know a 40 breeder was 36x18” so they sold it all XD
I’d ask a local fish club for stuff

Yeah, you just have to find that perfect person who is selling stuff in really good condition for a really good price.... Doesn't seem to be a lot of that in my area. Facebook and craigslist are full of crappy 10 gallon tanks with the spongebob pineapple of death for $60-$80...or more.

Good point about looking up a local fish club though.... Thank you!

Upvote 0

Nianichole

they had spongebob decor, I caught them before It was too late for the common plecos goldfish Oscar and other fish that couldve been abused

Oh boy. Good thing you came along!

Seriously...the spongebob decor is like the kiss of death in fishkeeping...I don't understand why so many people want to buy that cartoon pineapple...

Upvote 0

Corylover123

I totally don’t have spongebob in my 10 gallon blackwater biotope

Upvote 0

Nessaf

I’ve had great luck with used equipment, it just depends. I have a 55gal I got used over 40 years ago and it is going strong.

Upvote 0

Zach72202

Used equipment is something that I am always looking for, but it really depends on price and what it is. I really wouldn't suggest buying anything used 20g and under, its kinda pointless. 40-75g it really depends on quality. How does the silicone look and are the braces/trim in good condition? If it all checks out and the tank looks good, and the price is right, go for it! I pick up used free tanks all the time, even if they look like , I take them apart and cut the glass up for fish tank lids! Once I got a two 55g tanks and stand for 25$, one had a blown out side panel (tempered glass) and the other had a cracked bottom. I cut the cracked bottom tank apart for glass, built a new bigger tank for my pea puffers, and cut a new side panel for the blown out 55. Turned around, sold the resealed 55 tank and stand for 100$, got a home made tank, and lids, all while profiting. Yeah, it was worth.

When it comes to equipment, it depends. With LED lighting, as long as it works without any flickering or whatever, it probably has a lot of life left, as long as there aren't any clear signs of abuse, such as burned out diodes, super cloudy/yellowed glass under the led's (indication it fell in the tank), frayed/exposed cables, etc...

A lot of stuff will come as a package kinda, so if you get the finnex stingray for 50$, or you can pay 60 for the light, an aqueon 30 HOB, and a 50W heater, the extra 10$ is worth it in my opinion. Heaters are hit or miss, but sometimes equipment is worth. It really depends how old the equipment it is, if its obsolete (ex: t5 lighting fixtures), and does it work well and get the job done? A lot of it as well is "What is it worth to you?" Sometimes an FX6 canister to one person is junk, but the next guy wants 4 of them on his 90g tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views