Is boiled and carbon filtered (brita filtered) water safe?

Discussion in 'Reverse Osmosis - Deionization' started by saltynoob, Nov 30, 2012.

1. s

saltynoob New Member Member

Hello i am quite new to this forum,and i am researching starting a 50-75g fowlr aquarium.Maybe a reef someday i live on a caribbean island, so nsw isn't a problem i have a clean source of it. The problem is lfs are pretty down here and no major shops e.g. petco etc. I will ahve to order in my equipment and was wondering if boiled and carbon filtered water which is what i drink is safe for topping off a fowlr aquarium

Thanks Shane: :;hi1

2. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

If you change the water often then it's probably safe enough depending on how much you top off. Boiling and Brita filtering will leave GH and KH pretty much still intact and will add to your existing water parameters. The reason why people use RO for top off is that it will not alter your existing water parameters.

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

It really depends what you're starting with. Do you know the TDS of your current tap water?

4. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks for the quick response 85mg of TDS per liter but thats from where i live near a desal plant other places on the island I think have a different value for TDS but thats what i found for my area the whole point of me asking was because no rodi systems are available locally and it was more items to ship.But if it is a necessity i will surely get one or go to my uncle who has a fo tank in his office and ask if he has a rodi system

Also love this forum quick responses nice people

Thanks Shane::;thx

5. OP
    OP
    s

O let me also add the range is 80-100mg of tds per liter.I saw a video comparing the tds values and decided it would be worthwhile to get an rodi system thinking of one from BRS.

6. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi,
    I agree on using RO/DI for those concentrations.

But I would check your TDS of 85 mg/L = 85,000,000 ppt

That seems awfully high and not suitable for human consumption (IMO)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice