Is boiled and carbon filtered (brita filtered) water safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynoob

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello i am quite new to this forum,and i am researching starting a 50-75g fowlr aquarium.Maybe a reef someday i live on a caribbean island, so nsw isn't a problem i have a clean source of it. The problem is lfs are pretty down here and no major shops e.g. petco etc. I will ahve to order in my equipment and was wondering if boiled and carbon filtered water which is what i drink is safe for topping off a fowlr aquarium

Thanks Shane:

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you change the water often then it's probably safe enough depending on how much you top off. Boiling and Brita filtering will leave GH and KH pretty much still intact and will add to your existing water parameters. The reason why people use RO for top off is that it will not alter your existing water parameters.

OP
S

saltynoob

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the quick response 85mg of TDS per liter but thats from where i live near a desal plant other places on the island I think have a different value for TDS but thats what i found for my area the whole point of me asking was because no rodi systems are available locally and it was more items to ship.But if it is a necessity i will surely get one or go to my uncle who has a fo tank in his office and ask if he has a rodi system

Also love this forum quick responses nice people

Thanks Shane:x

OP
S

saltynoob

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
O let me also add the range is 80-100mg of tds per liter.I saw a video comparing the tds values and decided it would be worthwhile to get an rodi system thinking of one from BRS.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
I agree on using RO/DI for those concentrations.

But I would check your TDS of 85 mg/L = 85,000,000 ppt

That seems awfully high and not suitable for human consumption (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom