75 Gallon Tank Is Blue Green Algae Always Cyano?

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t have a current picture but my water wisteria and a couple of the other plants are getting an algae that is blue-green in color. It’s only on the plants and isn’t spreading very quickly. The tank smells normal.
I’m planning on trimming most of it off during maintenance tomorrow but curious as to what it is exactly.
And I can post a picture tomorrow. :)

bendresbach

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably cyno unless you have some rare species of algea sometimes found in obscure lakes and rivers

But I see you’re from Maryland also so I bet it’s cyno

Do you have any fish or plants for sale locally?

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Howdy fellow Marylander!
Did a quick search on cyano and this stuff doesn’t seem to act the same. It’s not fast spreading and isn’t slimy or smelly. Tank nitrates stay at 10 and sometimes below. I haven’t done a phosphate test in a while but the last one was whatever the reading up from 0 is.
I’ll trim it all off tomorrow and keep an eye on it.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
C806B09C-6C6A-4DD8-8BAE-F95ABAE41B11.jpeg
Most of this algae is on one wisteria. Not on the rocks, driftwood, or sand. To my eyes, it looks blue-green in color but in these pictures, I think it looks more green. Meh. I trimmed all of it off the wisteria and removed a gazillion handfuls of the small floater (not sure if it’s duckweed or salvinia minimosa? Not positive how that’s spelled lol!) that was probably blocking too much light.
So I’ll see what happens.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Look like cyano to me. If it looks like it's kind of in a sheet as opposed to fibers, then it's most likely cyano

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Look like cyano to me. If it looks like it's kind of in a sheet as opposed to fibers, then it's most likely cyano
Hmm, to me it seems more like how diatoms act. It rubs off easily and I can’t say it is in sheets or fibers!
I’ve read that one cause is high phosphates and over feeding. I probably do tend to over feed this tank a bit to try to make sure the loaches get to eat.
I recently switched to a weekly 50% WC rather than 2 30% WCs a week. But I’d prefer to do just one change a week. Especially since I am about to set up another tank to save my golden diamond barbs from the tail eating Queen loaches. :eek:

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So if I am proactive, what should I do to decrease and hopefully, eradicate it?

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cyano has proven to be pretty stubborn for me. Hydrogen peroxide will kill it, but it may come back. I find it only comes back a lot when I skip water changes. Sometimes with something like cyano solving the underlying issue is the best way to go. With weekly manual removal I've been doing alright

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cyano has proven to be pretty stubborn for me. Hydrogen peroxide will kill it, but it may come back. I find it only comes back a lot when I skip water changes. Sometimes with something like cyano solving the underlying issue is the best way to go. With weekly manual removal I've been doing alright
Thanks! You’ve been very helpful!
I’m going to treat it as cyano. I have the good article ( thread?) that’s been posted here using H2O2 saved so I’ll dig that back up.
Meanwhile, I’ll be away this week but I’ve premeasured the fish food for hubby to feed. And they will only get fed once a day.
Of course, I just added extra bio max to this filter to be able to seed the filter in the new tank I’m setting up. Gah. Wonder if I can kill the cyano off the biomax and not kill the BB?

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know if peroxide harms BB, so maybe that's something to try? H2O2 worked really well, but my underlying issue was still there so that's why it's been reoccurring.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
May I ask what was your underlying issue?

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I couldn't pin point it, but my tap water already has a lot of nutrients, and I need to find balance with my fertilizer. Also, there isn't much current in the tank. But, more bubblers did help.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you. I’m guessing my problem is some sort of nutrient imbalance.
I use remineralized RO/DI water that I mix to a dGH of 6. But weirdly, the TDS of that is about 280. My tanks run at about a TDS of 290. I have no idea if that is too high but not sure if I should decrease the dGH or not.
I also just started using potassium for the plants as I was starting to see some holes in the older leaves.
My other tanks don’t have cyano but I’m battling I think, stag horn in one. I can’t win lol!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom