Is Bleach Safe For Fish?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So long as it had be thoroughly rinsed and dried it should be good to go.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It must be very well rinsed and then it would be best to run the tank with a double or triple dose of Prime for a bit. By the time the tank is cycled and has had water changes it will be fine. I've had to sterilize a tank or two and use bleach myself.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I will scrub it (with water, of course). Thanks!

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fanatic said:
Yep, should be fine!
What did you receive? I would love to see
Just some freeze-dried bloodworms, Aqueon food, and a floating betta log (this is what I was concerned about). She didn't have the poor thing in right conditions (No filter, 1 gallon tank).

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
emmysjj said:
My neighbors betta passed away of dropsy and she gave me some stuff and said she bleached it. Is it safe to use?
What?! Holey moley” . . . . @ your neighbor, not you.

I'm sure there is a way to clean the bleach from the aquarium itself. I don't know, but someone here will. I wouldn't use it until it is cleaned well. (Note: never use soap or cleaning chemicals or Clorox wipes or any such things on fish stuff.)

As for the accessories, if she bleached the filter(s), she killed the beneficial bacteria that would've been a good start for your nitrogen cycle. There's an excellent document on this site that explains the nitrogen cycle. So if the filter's been bleached, I'd chuck it right into the recycle bin.

Others with more experience can help you better than I. Best of luck!

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bleach is just chlorine. Let air dry or soak in heavy dechlor water and it will be safe to use again - so long it was regular chlorine bleach. The scented or splashless kind might cause issues, but honestly I am not sure as we don't buy them so I have never checked.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
She didn't know any better, she's a lovely person

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bleach is a good option to sterilise equiptment, as mentioned before it is just chlorine and can easily be washed off and with declorinator used as a safeguard. Obviously shouldn't be used with fish in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom