Is bleach dip safe for Moss?

  1. cletus Member Member

    I just got some free Moss (Java Moss I think) from my LFS when I purchased some Tetras earlier today. I'd like to do a bleach dip before I add it to the tank. Is it safe to use bleach on Moss and if so what ratio of bleach to water should I use and how long to leave in solution?
     
  2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

    I use the spice, alum.
    1 Tablespoon pr gallon, will kill inverts and eggs.
     

  3. Borisbbadd Guest

    I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure.

    From what I've read, use 19 parts water to 1 part of bleach. Soak for 2 minutes, rinse in fresh water. Then soak it in water with a double dose of declorinator.
     

  4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

    When bleaching plants, the mix is 1:19 bleach water. However, the soak time is only 30 seconds or less. Then immediately transfer to heavily dechlorinated water.

    In my experience, moss does not fair well with bleach.

    Alum? Really? That's great to know!!
     

  5. Borisbbadd Guest

    30 seconds sounds alot safer to me.

    I've read 2 minutes in a few different places, and one place said 5 minutes.

    The reason I was reading about it, is that I bought some one time, and was wondering how to disinfect it.

    The reason that I've never tried it, is that bye the time it got here ( from who knows where ) it was deader than last years love !
     
  6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

    Maybe the longer soak times were coupled with a much weaker bleach solution?

    I once got distracted and left swords in bleach water for about a minute. Almost lost them! Ended up with no leaves for a while. I would be afraid of leaving them in the solution longer.
     
  7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

    I remember picking through my ava moss when i first got it -_-. I found all kinds of goodies. I like salt dips, harsh, but not as harsh as bleach. I wonder if you can amonia dip a plant?
     
  8. Ryan1824 Member Member

    I'll second the alum dip - much safer than bleach. I've had bad results with bleach.
     
  9. cletus Member Member

    I'll have to try the alum dip next time. I didn't have any alum and didn't feel like going to the store to get some.

    I already knew about the 1:19 ratio of bleach for other plants. I just wasn't sure about it for moss. I went with a five minute bleach dip after reading other online post. If it dies then oh well, it was free.

    The LFS I went to has some kind of black looking algae. Looks kind of like BBA. A coworker that knows the owner real well told me he got it in the tanks a long time ago from plants he received from Japan and has never been able to get rid of it. It's not in all the tanks, just some of them. He claims it's never effected the fish.

    That's kind of why I went with the 5 min bleach dip. I didn't want to take chance of getting that mess in my tank. It's in the 10 gallon quarantine tank so I'm not overly concerned about it.
     
  10. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

    I used a 30 sec b;each dip on a moss ball. that was like 3 weeks ago and i'm still not sure if it'll survive. never doing that again; i'll be using peroxide in the future!
     
  11. greenbeanette Member Member

    So a bleach dip is safe for plants, but not for moss?
     
  12. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

    lots of people use it on plants, but i haven't had very good luck with it. peroxide is works just as well, but is less harmful to the plant. i'm not saying you can't use bleach if you really want to, but it's not something that's worked for me personally.
     
  13. greenbeanette Member Member

    So peroxide will kill snails/eggs and algae? What ratio to water should be used?

    I have a shipment of anubias, java ferns, and willow moss coming in this week. Totally new to the plant thing lol.
     
  14. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

    I don't know if this is right or not but I just pour hydrogen peroxide over my plants undiluted once I hit every possible spot I let them sit for a min and then wash them off really good.
     
  15. greenbeanette Member Member

    Ok, good to know :) Thanks.
     
  16. cletus Member Member

    I haven't had any problems with bleach on other plants. If you stick to 1 part bleach to 19 parts water for about 30 seconds to a minute I don't think you'll have problems with most plants. My moss still looks fine even with a 5 minute dip. I only did the 5 min dip on it due to the black algae stuff the LFS has as I mentioned above.
     
  17. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

    Peroxide comes off much easier, less risk to fish once you put the plants in. The bleach method is also effective though.
     
  18. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

    What about a vinigar dip? too rough?
     
  19. cletus Member Member

    If you put the plants in fresh water and then add a dechlorinator then there is no chlorine left on the plants.
     
  20. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

    There's more in bleach than just chlorine. Also, I've heard from other members that peroxide is easier on the plant than bleach is.