Is Bio Spira Fast Acting?

Jerica Ward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just used some bio spira yesterday in what's going to be my new shrimp tank (3.5 gal). Shockingly, what normally would have been a reading of 2-1 ppm of ammonia (city water reading), it came back as .25 ppm. I'm not going to automatically think that it was the biospira alone. Other things could have contributed to this. I did let the bottle of water I use for water changes sit out open to have the ammonia off gas before using it, I used decorations from their previous tank and transferred it into the tank right away so that way, if any bio film formed, it would still be in there. Not to mention three moss balls are in this tank but last I checked, moss balls don't remove that amount of ammonia that fast. I'm just surprised. Of course, all factors could contribute. So... any ideas?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Isn't Bio Spira a bacterial additive much like Safe Start and Stability? Then yes, it could have worked that quickly because the bacteria are alive and set to work eating straight away!

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have heard that BioSpira works pretty quickly, so it is possible that the bacteria have already processed the ammonia.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neptune334 said:
I have heard that BioSpira works pretty quickly, so it is possible that the bacteria have already processed the ammonia.
Isn't that what Aquaphobia is telling ?
Every starter does so immediately.
This doesn't mean that the tank
is cycled btw

Natalya

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used Bio-Spira without any mind blowingly fast effects. I guess it just shows that these products are by nature highly inconsistent

Fish-whisper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bio-Spira is like Tetra SafeStart but made for saltwater that uses different type of bacteria. SafeStart Plus= Nitrosomonas, Nitrosospira, and Nitrospira and Bio-Spira= Nitrosospira, Nitrosomonas, Nitrospira, and Nitrococcus. There are different strains within the listed bacteria but they don't list which strain.

Will Bio-Spira work in freshwater ? yes it will, will it be faster than anything else ? I doubt it, maybe not optimized freshwater ? only Dr Tim knows for sure.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think there is now (or actually once again) a version of BioSpira for fresh water.

Natalya

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdhef said:
I think there is now (or actually once again) a version of BioSpira for fresh water.
Yes, I just assumed we were talking about freshwater one

Fish-whisper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Natalya

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well now Marineland puts out Bio Spira for freshwater
Fish-whisper said:
The original BioSpira became Tetra SafeStart.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish-whisper said:
The original BioSpira became Tetra SafeStart.
Dr.Tim Hovanec made it didn't he ?

Fish-whisper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
Dr.Tim Hovanec made it didn't he ?
Yes, he sold rights for Tetra's use, Marineland and Tetra are owned by the same parent company (pretty sure or marineland owns Tetra), Marineland BioSpria is the same with added waste control bacteria for sludge & organic's. Dr Tim is a smart guy, he's got it going on many fronts

Jerica Ward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jdhef said:
Yep! That's exactly what I got. I'll be monitoring my tank to see if it will fully cycle sooner. Anyway, thanks for the info, guys. Don't worry, my shrimp won't be going in just yet. The tank still has a ways to go before I'm comfortable putting them in. Hopefully it cycles before winter break.

Natalya said:
I used Bio-Spira without any mind blowingly fast effects. I guess it just shows that these products are by nature highly inconsistent
It's live bacteria. Sometimes people get a bad batch if they weren't kept somewhere properly. Luckily, mine are a good batch.

SaltySeaLion

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use Bio-Spira to cycle tanks. I’ve tried other quick-start solutions (API, Stability, Tetra Safe Start, etc.), but Bio-Spira has always given me the quickest results.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom