Is Bigger Better? Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have two 10gal tanks that I'm going to put double sponge filters in. I want to get a two outlet air pump. Should I get the 150gal that does 80 GPH or the 50gal that does 30 GPH. I'm also putting another double sponge filter in my 40gal Tall tank and will get the same pump. I know with filters, bigger is better but I don't want to blow them out of the water.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I would go for the larger pump, I've had small twin outlet pumps struggle to get enough air flow through twin sponge filters

3. TJBender Well Known Member Member

A good general rule, imo, is 5gph for every gallon of water. With that in mind, I'd go by fish type. If you're going with a betta or a school of microfish like chili rasboras, CPDs, etc., I'd go with the 30gph pump to avoid launching them across the tank. If you're planning on going with a school of guppies, tetras, Endlers, etc., I'd go with the 80 gph pump to ensure that there's enough flow for a school that size.

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I would buy one for each tank that way you have some redundancy in the case one fails. I say this due to you using them to run your filtration versus just air stones or a feature which requires air to power it.

5. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

One has Fancy Guppies the other tank red Cherry shrimp

Sponge filters are secondary filters I have HOB on each tank. I might put a bubble wand In my big tank and my guppy I understand shrimp don't like them. My 10 gallons are right next to each other that's why I thought of the double outlet pump. My larger tank is in another room but I thought a double outlet would be better than a single am I wrong?