Is Bamboo Toxic To Fish?

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

I have a bamboo shoot and am wondering if it would be safe to cut a hole in my canopy to let the roots grow in the tank?
Does bamboo leach any toxins?

Avery101

Reaction score
i dont believe so. they sell bamboo for semi and aquatic plants and i have had some in my aquariums before.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Avery101 said:
i dont believe so. they sell bamboo for semi and aquatic plants and i have had some in my aquariums before.
Good to know, thank you!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bamboo itself contains compounds that break down into hydrogen cyanide when plant cells are disrupted. The amount may be negligible but it is wise not to eat too much uncooked bamboo if used in certain Asian dishes.

In your aquarium I wouldn't worry, but not sure how bamboo would grow with it's roots submerged in water.

Now the "lucky bamboo" you see for sale isn't true bamboo, but is a species of Dracaena. This plant will grow just fine as long as you don't submerge the whole thing, just the roots.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fahn said:
Bamboo itself contains compounds that break down into hydrogen cyanide when plant cells are disrupted. The amount may be negligible but it is wise not to eat too much uncooked bamboo if used in certain Asian dishes.

In your aquarium I wouldn't worry, but not sure how bamboo would grow with it's roots submerged in water.

Now the "lucky bamboo" you see for sale isn't true bamboo, but is a species of Dracaena. This plant will grow just fine as long as you don't submerge the whole thing, just the roots.
Thanks for the help! I have a real bamboo shoot that I’ve been growing in a cup of water for a while, so I think I’ll give it a try :)

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read it’s safe as long as the leaves aren’t submerged in water.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it :)

New Threads