Is baby shrimp food necessary?

airdog44

Is getting special food for baby cherry shrimp necessary? I will be feeding Bacter AE, and was wondering if I need to feed special food for them on top of this or if it is enough. I will also be feeding Hikari Shrimp Cuisine. Thanks for the help!

YellowGuppy

Nope! They'll eat whatever the grown-ups are eating, and/or things that are too small for the grown-ups to bother eating.

If you've got a happy, healthy adult RCS population, you'll have a happy, healthy baby RCS population, too!

wateriswet

Maybe to get the highest possible survival rate? But honestly no. So long as you have an established tank with a good bio film and not too many fish who love to eat baby shrimp, your population will grow. And grow! I bought 6 cherry shrimp a year and a half ago and now have hundreds. Be ready to start culling if you want to keep a high color grade of shrimp. I personally don't because catching baby shrimp in a heavily planted tank is a pain.

I don't do anything special to feed them. They get the leftovers from my fish and mystery snails.

Good luck!

airdog44

Ok, this definitely helps thank you so much!
Is Hikari Shrimp cuisine a good brand? What do you feed your shrimp? How many times a week? Your schedule would be much appreciated :)

peachsonas

I use BacterAE too and my shrimp appreciate it. I have no experience with baby shrimp yet since mine have yet to spawn, but GirlTalksFish on Youtube has 2 or 3 really good, in depth videos about shrimp care, including one video all about how she feeds them and when!

airdog44

I use BacterAE too and my shrimp appreciate it. I have no experience with baby shrimp yet since mine have yet to spawn, but GirlTalksFish on Youtube has 2 or 3 really good, in depth videos about shrimp care, including one video all about how she feeds them and when!
Yes I’ve seen those! Thanks for the reply

wateriswet

Ok, this definitely helps thank you so much!
Is Hikari Shrimp cuisine a good brand? What do you feed your shrimp? How many times a week? Your schedule would be much appreciated :)
I've heard good things about that brand but reuse my fish food in my shrimp tank. I'd recommend feeding several different foods in a rotating cycle over the course of the week.

I personally feed Omega one pellets, aqueon bottom feeder pellets, fluval bug bites granules, algae wafers, and occasionally but a few flakes in or blanched zucchini or cucumber from my garden during the summer (I don't trust any store bought veggies to not have pesticides that could hurt shrimp). I think a variety is important so that if I food is missing a nutrient, hopefully another food has it. None of the foods I use were bought specifically for my shrimp, they're just what I have on hand to feed my different fish and it's worked out great.

I feed a pinch twice a day. In my 5 gallon that the photos are from, that's about 1.5 to 2 algae wafers a day and I do a 50 % water change every week. In my other tanks that have fish, the shrimp get whatever is left over but I still have sizeable colonies.

Attachments

• IMG_20211205_200345104~2.jpg
    IMG_20211205_200345104~2.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211205_195654558.jpg
    IMG_20211205_195654558.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 3

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shadowfox
  • Question