Is Ash Safe?

1. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

So were I live a volcano just erupted and a ton of ash landed near me. I was spreading on my plants and saw it sunk to the bottom of some water I have. So would it be a safe aquarium substrate?

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I'm no expert on it, but I was just thinking wouldn't it be really messy when doing a water change/vacuum??...
    I'm not too sure what it would do on a chemical level but I'm just thinking practically now... though I've never seen ash in water so I don't know, lol

3. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

You know the way the surrounding areas of volcanoes thrive? I'm thinking that it will help your plants but maybe raise your pH a bit.

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I don’t think it’s the ash that makes the surrounding areas so full of plants. Im guessing its the lava rocks that covers the ground which help with growing plants. That’s what eco complete is, lava rocks. It will probably raise his Ph and hardness.

5. OP
    OP
    AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

It just
    sunk to the bottom of my water bucket when some got in

6. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Yeah I'm sure it would sink but I mean if you had a whole lump of the stuff in there at the bottom and you swirled your finger on it will it not kick up and make the water dirty?