Is AquaClear Ammonia Remover Just Zeolite? Also, Zeolite and Aquarium Salt

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

^ That.

The reason I am asking is because I have had to treat my ranchu QT for septicemia. Unfortunately, the kanamycin is just wreaking havoc on the biofilter but I had to do it. I have plans to buy cycled sponge filters once if they make it through this but, in the mean time, ammonia is climbing fast in the 20g where there are two fish. I'm having an easier time managing the ammonia in the 10g with just Sayuri but it's still there. In the 20g, ammonia is already at .5ppm and I cannot do anything except add Prime until tomorrow when I do a 50% WC prior to adding the second dose of medication to their tank.

I figured since my cycle is already a mess, I might as well try an ammonia remover. So I picked up the AquaClear Ammonia Remover. However, I'm thinking it's probably just zeolite, right? If that's the case, I can't use it as the tanks have been salinated for the infection. Right? Maybe someone can help me understand a little better the interaction between zeolite and salt? Is there any way around it? If I did/could/should use it, it won't reduce the efficacy of the medication, will it?

I have a little more faith in Prime's ability to detox ammonia rather than nitrite and I tend to think nitrite is the real monster in cycling BUT I do not want to compound the progress they have made so far with ammonia, and I'm concerned about the rate of increase. Can anyone help?

I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow to ask these questions, they are closed now, but I'm hoping someone here can help me out.
  2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Hmmm...I don't know that they're the same organically, but they both are designed for the same purpose. It's actually more like AC for ammonia. I'm not a fan of zeolite for anything short of an emergency spike in ammonia.

3. old hippy Member Member

Don't know how to link to it, but an old thread "Prime and other ammonia "removers" Debate" # 27969 has info. (accurate or not, I can't say) that pertains to your situation.
  4. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Neither am I, but I kind of consider this an emergency. They're septic and only just beginning to show real improvement and the cost of that improvement was my biofilter, so now I've got ammonia. I can't really do a 100% change tomorrow as the antibiotic needs to build up somewhat I think and I'm concerned about what the readings will be by the time tomorrow comes.

I also don't want a toxic and deadly reaction because there is salt in the tank. That happens, right? Hmm. I think I'm calling the manufacturer tomorrow. My brain is just focused on the septicemia and I don't really trust it to work on much else right now, I need someone to pretty much carry me through it.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yes, salt in the tank is a no-no if you want to add zeolite. It'll do the opposite of what you want it to.
  6. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Sigh. I knew my quick, temporary fix was too good to be true. I can't really remove the salt, that would require a 100% WC and I do not want to remove that much of the medication between doses. I guess it means no ammonia remover. I can't even reduce feeding because it's medicated food. I guess it means lots and lots of Prime. Maybe I'll go get a big load of live plants and see if that'll help some. Don't have a light for them though, only the glass-top with ambient room. But maybe if I shove enough of them in there? Sigh. So this is why treating illnesses is so complicated.

Maybe it's not zeolite? I'll call tomorrow. But I'm sure it is. Poo.
  7. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Zeolite, will only lock the Ammonia, and will not get rid of it.
    I have never had the need to try and use it, or any other similar product, but maybe you have to allow the Zeolite to" soak up " the Ammonia, and then discard it, and replace with new material and repeat the process until the Ammonia has been neutralised.
    Just my thoughts on the subject, and I hope there are others in the forum with more knowledge on this subject that will chip in to help you with this issue.