Is anyone into RC trucks?

Mhamilton0911

Hello! Just wondering if anyone is also into RC trucks, specifically the ones you'd get at a hobby shop.

I just bought a Traxxas Slash, and was hoping for a good source for replacement parts and/or upgrades.

I am not near any local hobby shop, everything must be online. And to be honest, it's all overwhelming.

Thanks in advance.

Unknown9182

Mhamilton0911 said:
Hello! Just wondering if anyone is also into RC trucks, specifically the ones you'd get at a hobby shop.

I just bought a Traxxas Slash, and was hoping for a good source for replacement parts and/or upgrades.

I am not near any local hobby shop, everything must be online. And to be honest, it's all overwhelming.

Thanks in advance.
Im no expert at RIC trucks but when I was younger I was a nut for Rc cars, I still have 3 different Rc cars that are missing batteries or controllers. The batteries these have are the old one where you plug the battery into a charger and then into a socket. You are never too old for rc cars.

Chewbacca773

Mhamilton0911 said:

Thanks in advance.
I have a slash 2wd and my brother is the god of rc cars. The best place to order parts online is hobbytown's website or amazon, in my opinion.

Betta'sAnonymous

I am assuming you are talking about the gas-powered ones. They are pretty cool, but i avoided that hobby, as most of my friends that were into it spent most of their time waiting for parts, drove it once for 5-10 minutes, then spent another month waiting for more parts.

Chewbacca773

Chewbacca773 said:
I have a slash 2wd and my brother is the god of rc cars. The best place to order parts online is hobbytown's website or amazon, in my opinion. You can also call just any random hobbytown and they can help you over the phone.

Chewbacca773

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I am assuming you are talking about the gas-powered ones. They are pretty cool, but i avoided that hobby, as most of my friends that were into it spent most of their time waiting for parts, drove it once for 5-10 minutes, then spent another month waiting for more parts.
No they're electric

Betta'sAnonymous

Chewbacca773 said:
No they're electric
I had a Grave Digger RC I drove through heck and back. Loved taking it out on the snow and water puddles. Jumped stairs well too. But that was just a walmart special.

Chewbacca773

Mhamilton0911 said:

Thanks in advance.
Also by far the best upgrade you can get is a lipo, but I don't know what model slash you have, so I don't know what battery to recommend. I think you should go on the traxxas forums on the website.

k8ybug9

Yes! I just bought a LaTrax Teton. My husband just got the Traxxas TRX4 Sport truck. He also has a Slash he got last year and a nitro gas powered Traxxas RC truck. I agree, there are a TON of options for replacement parts and upgrades. I guess we're lucky in that we have a couple good hobby shops nearby. My best advice would be to do your homework, browse forums, ask questions, etc... I haven't had to deal much with replacements or upgrades (yet) myself. I suppose some of it depends on how/where you use it. Good Luck!

FishGirl115

My brother has a Traxxas. All I know is he breaks it a lot.

Mhamilton0911

Wow, so many replies!!!

I bought this year's model directly from the manufacturer, it's a 4x4 model, electric because this is our first so we're starting there.

It's a birthday present for my eldest son, and I also know this will need fixed... probably often. But he's/we are up for it.

Chewbacca773

FishGirl115 said:
My brother has a Traxxas. All I know is he breaks it a lot.
Mhamilton0911 said:
Wow, so many replies!!!

I bought this year's model directly from the manufacturer, it's a 4x4 model, electric because this is our first so we're starting there.

It's a birthday present for my eldest son, and I also know this will need fixed... probably often. But he's/we are up for it.
Yes, the 4x4 will break quite a bit. The lowest maintenence one is the one I have, the 2wd, I have had it for almost 2 months and I haven't broken anything.

Mhamilton0911

Chewbacca773 said:
Yes, the 4x4 will break quite a bit. The lowest maintenence one is the one I have, the 2wd, I have had it for almost 2 months and I haven't broken anything.
Well, over the years of buying cheap RC's that are unfixable, I am willing to try a model that is at least fixable. Once I get a feel for what breaks most I'll have spares on hand.

My husband is a car guru, owns a body shop, restores old things and has done more fabricating than he'd remember. I'm sure this little RC is in his capacity to fix, lol.

Plus, a hobby of the husbands is snowmobiling, and that means guaranteed every ride something breaks, sometimes the whole sled. That gets expensive, my fish are cheap in comparison, lol.

This new model has a 'training mode' that cuts power to 50%. I hope this helps with the learning curve. We will see. It just got delivered today but the birthday is next month so I'll have to wait to see this thing go!

CTYankee79

So I used to be way into RC trucks (and airplanes, helicopters, boats, etc etc )! I have a Traxxas Slash, I believe it was the 4wd platinum edition, it was a beast. SUPER fast and I used to bring it to the track and race. Needless to say, they break a lot. Good news is, Traxxas parts are abundant! Since my kids were born 5 years ago I’ve gotten away from the hobby, but if I remember correctly Amain Hobbies and Tower Hobbies were two good part suppliers for Traxxas. You might try eBay and Amazon as well.

Now I kind of want to dust off all my vehicles....

CTYankee79

Chewbacca773 said:
Also by far the best upgrade you can get is a lipo, but I don't know what model slash you have, so I don't know what battery to recommend. I think you should go on the traxxas forums on the website.
Definitely, but gotta make sure the speed controller can take a LIPO first. Upgrading to a brushless speed controller and running it off a lipo adds a ton of speed, then you got to make sure your gearing is correct. Man I used to go down a rabbit hole with this stuff, you can spend so much time with upgrades and tuning.

fish 321

I used to have a rc redcat rock crawler and a baja truck but can't remember the brand. Anyways they all ended up broken and in the trash. I just have a hobyzone carbon cub now.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom