Is An Oscar Worth It?

CBickings
Hiya,

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a 75 or 90 gallon aquarium in the future (could be up to a year from now). I recently discovered the Oscar Cichlid and fell in love. Are they really worth all of the water changes/work for one single fish in a tank?

Jayd976
I had an Oscar for about 8yrs and he was absolutely worth it. They are the dogs of the water world. They get excited when they see you, they’re playful, some will let you “pet” them, etc. Really a cool and fun fish to have.

CBickings
Thank you for your input! I do not know anyone who has an Oscar so I have no first hand experience with them. I am trying to convince my husband we need one! Haha

Dawn Michele
I just LOVE my Oscar Big Boy!!! He is 15 inches & I have him in a 125. So much personality!!! They are so worth it!!!

CBickings
Can one Oscar be kept in a 4ft tank all of its life (75 gallon) or will it need to be updated to a 125? I am afraid my house won't be able to support a 125 as it is an old house with several weird additions added in the past.

Jayd976
I kept mine in a 90gal all it’s life he got to about 12-13” in size. It’s doable for sure I’d say that’s the absolute minimum size id do for a single Oscar. I will add that I felt like he looked a little cramped in there once fully grown, but didn’t seem to hinder him at all. He was certainly happy and healthy. If I could have I would have gotten a 125 for him.

Dawn Michele
Big Boy in his 125

CBickings
What a gorgeous guy! I would LOVE a 125 but there are only two places to put a tank in my house. One place runs along one single joist which is not near an outside wall and the other place is against where a joist was built on top of a cinderblock wall, but there is no way to access the side of the joist where the tank would be sitting to put reinforcement in place.

HORNET1
Big Boy in his 125
Now that's a gorgeous Oscar...THUMBS UP !!!

17.gif

Seth15
I haven't owned an Oscar before so I can't tell you by my own experience, but by hearing others about their oscars I would say that they are worth it. I have heard that they are quite personable and interactive with their owners. Not to mention they look pretty cool too.

I personally believe that any fish is "worth" keeping (reasonably speaking) so as long as you can afford it, provide proper care for it, and if you truly enjoy keeping the fish.

Oscars do grow quite large so I would say a 90 gallon is a minimum, bigger is better obviously.

If you do decide to get an Oscar good luck and have fun.

Dawn Michele
Now that's a gorgeous Oscar...THUMBS UP !!!
View attachment 453133
Thank you so much!!!

What a gorgeous guy! I would LOVE a 125 but there are only two places to put a tank in my house. One place runs along one single joist which is not near an outside wall and the other place is against where a joist was built on top of a cinderblock wall, but there is no way to access the side of the joist where the tank would be sitting to put reinforcement in place.
Thanks so much!!! I hope you can get one!!! You will absolutely LOVE them!!!

Seth15
Dawn Michele
Very nice Oscar Dawn!!! The tank too!!!
Thank you so much Seth. I appreciate it!!! The tank doesn't stay like that for long. He redecorates all the time!!! LOL!!!

CBickings
Do you guys think I would have problems with either a 90 gallon or 125 gallon tank with the floor joists I described earlier?

Seth15
Thank you so much Seth. I appreciate it!!! The tank doesn't stay like that for long. He redecorates all the time!!! LOL!!!

Haha!!! I have heard that they do that. I guess he keeps you busy changing around the tank, huh?

Dawn Michele
Do you guys think I would have problems with either a 90 gallon or 125 gallon tank with the floor joists I described earlier?
I would think you would be OK.

Haha!!! I have heard that they do that. I guess he keeps you busy changing around the tank, huh?
The only time I mess with it is when I do his weekly water changes. Sometimes he gives me a nibble to say, Hey!!! Leave it alone!!! LOL!!!

Seth15
The only time I mess with it is when I do his weekly water changes. Sometimes he gives me a nibble to say, Hey!!! Leave it alone!!! LOL!!!

Haha!!! sounds like quite the character.

I honestly think you'll be fine.

NavyChief20
Oscar's are just plain cool. Lots of personality and they really interact with you. Dawn Michele has a really great looking Oscar.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yukondog
Replies
Views
Preston Landolt
Replies
Views
Fae
Top Bottom