Is An Octocinclus Good Fit For My Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by SpeedyFish, Apr 11, 2017.

1. SpeedyFish

SpeedyFish Valued Member Member

I have a 46 gallon tank current stocked with 5 black skirts, 10 cardinal tetras, 2 bolivian rams, and orange rio von tetras. I'm noticing algae growing on my plants and want to get some algae cleaners for my plants. I currently have nerite snails, but they're too large to stay on my plants and would call off.

I was thinking about getting some Octocinclus as support algae eaters and just wondering if they would be a good fit for my tank.

Ammonia 0
    nitrite0
    Ph 8.2
    Nitrate 10
    Water temp 82-84

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Mmm, I dont know, your temperature is quite high. They will probably do well on 82 but 84 and up I dont know.
    You should consider eliminating algae from the root, maybe too much light? Too little water changes? I dont know.
    Your water is quite hard and it worries me because most ottos are wild caught so I dont know about that. Hopefully someone can help us out.
    If you are gonna get ottos I would suggest thinking about getting at least 8, the more the better, and I really mean it this time.

3. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

Have you tried getting some of the horned nerite snails? They are smaller than the regular nerites and they LOVE to eat the algae off of plants and decorations. A lot of the times they are black and yellow and most have small horns.

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Siamese algae eaters would be better suited to that temperature (thought it's still too warm). Otos need water in the lower 70s, so that's a no-go.

5. OP
    OP
    SpeedyFish

SpeedyFish Valued Member Member

I may have to get some smaller ones. My bigger nerite does an awesome job on the glass and larger decorations.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Mike, I would not do otos either. As he mentioned they are cooler-water. I would never keep them close to 82.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice