Is An Octocinclus Good Fit For My Tank?

SpeedyFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 46 gallon tank current stocked with 5 black skirts, 10 cardinal tetras, 2 bolivian rams, and orange rio von tetras. I'm noticing algae growing on my plants and want to get some algae cleaners for my plants. I currently have nerite snails, but they're too large to stay on my plants and would call off.

I was thinking about getting some Octocinclus as support algae eaters and just wondering if they would be a good fit for my tank.

Ammonia 0
nitrite0
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 10
Water temp 82-84

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mmm, I dont know, your temperature is quite high. They will probably do well on 82 but 84 and up I dont know.
You should consider eliminating algae from the root, maybe too much light? Too little water changes? I dont know.
Your water is quite hard and it worries me because most ottos are wild caught so I dont know about that. Hopefully someone can help us out.
If you are gonna get ottos I would suggest thinking about getting at least 8, the more the better, and I really mean it this time.

Alhana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you tried getting some of the horned nerite snails? They are smaller than the regular nerites and they LOVE to eat the algae off of plants and decorations. A lot of the times they are black and yellow and most have small horns.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Siamese algae eaters would be better suited to that temperature (thought it's still too warm). Otos need water in the lower 70s, so that's a no-go.

SpeedyFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have you tried getting some of the horned nerite snails? They are smaller than the regular nerites and they LOVE to eat the algae off of plants and decorations. A lot of the times they are black and yellow and most have small horns.
I may have to get some smaller ones. My bigger nerite does an awesome job on the glass and larger decorations.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Mike, I would not do otos either. As he mentioned they are cooler-water. I would never keep them close to 82.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom