Is an "All insect" diet good for a Jack Dempsey cichlid? Question

1. blueiristyson Member Member

I have a wonderful Jack Dempsey Cichlid.He loves insects and 95% of his diet consists of live insects. He will not eat cichlid pellets and sometimes he will eat cichlid flakes but not consistently.He eats 4-6 live meal worms and 2-3 red wiggler earth worms each day.

My question is, Is it healthy for his diet to be primarily live insects? Does he get all the nutrients and vitamins he needs just eating insects?He seems to be growing normally with bright and brilliant colors and is very active. Is there another type of dried food I can feed him other than flakes or pellets that they sell at Petsmart or Petco?

I think i might have spoiled him rotten on insects. Advice on other food sources other than live insects would be great. Below is links to a couple of pictures I took of him a few days ago.

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. chrisb01 Well Known Member Member

Yes, I used to feed my Oscars crickets all the time.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

they need a varied diet...although what you are giving him wont hurt him, the meal worms are full of fats and unless you gut load all the insects he's eating, they arent very nutritional ...if you fast him for a few days, he will eat anything you feed him im sure...theres a bunch of different recipe's in the site if you search in the search bar for homeade foods....

5. Rattliffc12 Member Member

I had the same problem with my Dempsey, I gave him meal worms and crickets and he refused to eat his normal food. They will hold out for the live food. I never could get him to eat the things sold at petsmart. I feed mine New Life Spectrum and he loves it. You can find it online or at a fish specialty store and its not a bad price either. I still give him a meal worm everyday though as a treat.

6. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Like everyone said that isn't your best choice.

He is a decent size and could go sometime without food. He won't take something new right away as he is now use to the food you always give him.

I would not feed him for 3-4 days, then feed him the food you want to use as a staple. If he doesn't eat it don't worry. Get the uneaten food out of the tank and try again the next day. I can promise he will not starve and will eventually start to eat the food you want him to.

Brian