29 Gallon Tank Is An Ac 110 Filter Too Much Waterflow For A 29g Sw Reef Tank & Which Led Light To Use?

treelover3

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi all,
I am in the process of getting all of the equipment put together for a 29g SW reef tank.

I still need to buy an LED light for the tank and I picked up an AC 110 filter while I was at PetSmart last night (05-22-2018).

PetSmart had an AquaClear 110 filter for $79.99 so I bought it. It looks like the AC 110 will give me about a 17-times-per-hour turnover rate for the tank. Does anyone think this filter is too big for a 29g reef tank (the filter is 500 gph and I'm wondering if the out-flow of the filter will be too much current for the tank's inhabitants to handle)?

I have also been looking at LED lights for the tank and there are just a ton of LED light fixtures out there and it's been very hard trying to decide on a particular light fixture or fixtures. Most of the lights give a recommendation as to the amount of space the light will cover with light and I have not found anything that looks like the light or lights will have enough intensity (foot candles) to cover the footprint of the tank and not break the bank.

The 29g tank is 30" long by 12" wide by 18" high and I don't want to spend a fortune on a light or lights (several hundreds of dollars, anyway) as I've already spent quite a bit on everything else I've purchased so far, but I'm pretty sure that the light is one of the most important parts of a reef tank so I may just need to bite-the-bullet on this one...

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
tl3

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
think it depends on the fish. What is your stocking plan so far?
Edit: I ment for the filter not the lights

treelover3

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At this point, I have no plans for any fish at all, but that could change.

I still have a ton of research to do and I'm kind of toying with the idea of getting "The Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater, in Florida, for my 29 gallon tank. I like the idea of having an "instant reef", even though it will be pretty expensive to do so.

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, I’d set up the tank and see how much flow it produces, you could always baffle it if it ends uo being too much. Although I think it’d be fine. Sorry I dont have any ideas for lights.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
treelover3 said:
At this point, I have no plans for any fish at all, but that could change.

I still have a ton of research to do and I'm kind of toying with the idea of getting "The Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater, in Florida, for my 29 gallon tank. I like the idea of having an "instant reef", even though it will be pretty expensive to do so.
How much do they want for it and what exactly does it come with?

The Gold Standard for LED Lighting is considered to be the Ecotech Marine Radion lights, but they do cost a small fortune (ie $350 for the XR15 plus mount and $100 controller). The cheapest reasonable option would be to get a single Chinese Black Box LED, and then just put lower light demand corals on the edges on either side of the 24 inches that it covers. The downside is that these lights offer virtually no customization or programming (you can adjust intensity of given colors and that's about it):

Here is the XR15 Radion Pro: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/radion-xr15w-g4-pro-led-light-fixture-ecotech-marine.html

A list of the different manufacturer Chinese Black Boxes

The other options are from the other two high end light manufacturers (AI and Kessil). AI is one of the best value lights on the market as they are fully programmable and customizable out of the box (and have the added bonus of being owned by the aforementioned Gold Standard Ecotech Marine) and are incredible lights to boot. A single AI Prime HD will cover the same spread as the black box light mentioned above, so you would put your lower demand corals on the edges. The difference is it has a programmable timer, ability to ramp up and down (simulate sunrise and sunset) and can even go so far as to sync to your local weather (ie simulate overcast lighting, lightning flashes, etc.) although I don't recommend the last option as it freaks out your fish. The point is that it is one of the most customizable lights on the market and it comes that way right out of the box, NO SEPARATE CONTROLLER REQUIRED. You can either program them via an APP on your phone or through their myai website via a desktop/laptop, etc. I recommend the latter as it is far more stable. Kessil lights are known for their deep blue coloration, shimmer effect of the lighting on the water. The downside is that they require a separate $100 controller and even then they still aren't quite as customizable as an AI light is. That and most comparisons done do give a slight edge to the AI lights over Kessil for Coral Growth. The AI Prime HD can be had for $199 shipped plus the cost of a $22 mount arm:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom