Is Ammonia Zero? Is Tank Cycled? Important

1. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

I don’t know if this is a slight color change but I would like to confirm that ammonia is zero. This is a ten gallon tank with only a colony of neocaridina shrimp. My tank did not cycle properly at first and I had many deaths, but I haven’t had any deaths in a while and there are lots of little shrimp. It gave me hope so I tested my water. Nitrite and nitrate are 0. I think nitrates are 0 because of the amount of plants I have in the tank. Image1527286091.042078.jpg Image1527286107.802928.jpg
    The color is more bright and yellow than in the pic.
    Here’s the tank. Sorry for all the algae.
    Image1527286145.905226.jpg
    Looks really messy on camera but I let the algae grow because the shrimp like to eat it.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Your tank should still be seeing a little bit of nitrates. You would need WAY more plants than that. However, your ammonia looks to be zero. Can you retest your nitrates, making sure you’re shaking the heck out of bottle 2 for 30 seconds before adding it to the vial with bottle one added. Followed by shaking the vial vigorously for 1 minute. Then wait 5 minutes. If you don’t do all of this, it messes up the test.

3. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

I did all of that... I even made sure to tap the bottle on hard surfaces. I think nitrates might be 0 because of the small bioload of the shrimp. Here’s a couple pics. They don’t look unhealthy or anything, which I guess is good.
    IMG_2620.JPG IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2624.JPG

4. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Well if there's no ammonia or nitrites, nobody is being stressed, so I guess maybe it is the small bioload as you assume.

5. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

I really hope so :D