Is algae scraped from the light glass a healthy fish food? or for fry?

jjc09

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just scraped of a big slimy sheet of green algae that was groing on the light. I wonder if perhaps it might be a nutritious meal for the frys or even for the main fish?

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think so, especially with the types of fish that you have, but I personally would want to chuck any algae I could get out of the tank, rather thank keeping it in there. You could set up an algae culture in a separate container with the algae you already have, and portion a little out at a time to see if the fish show any interest.

jjc09

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ill just pour a small diinute amount for the fry.. thats it, thanks, btw i have an adult molly, 4 molly fries, 2 swordtails + a fry, and a small pleco. Most of them however are kind of sick and ive had a lot of deaths recently, so i guess my only hope are the fries, which somehow show no sign of illness so far.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree on both side, if you put it in the tank most likely some will grow somewhere else, on the other side it would be good if they ate it as it is a good source of vegetable matter.

Drop a small amount in and watch to see if it all gets eaten, and then drop some more in. Try to drop it in quantities to lessen the amount of algae that re-attaches itself to glass where it can spread.
Hope this helps

Ranga

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom