Is algae necessarily bad?

bettasXD

Can I just leave the algae in my tank? Is it necessarily bad? It just keeps on growing back after I clean it. My tank is a 6 gallon tank with a plakat betta in it.

MacZ

Can I just leave the algea in my tank?
Of course!

Is it necessarily bad?
No!

Algae come, algae go. They show you imbalances in your tank. Perfect as an additional indicator. If the algae spread you have one or more nutrients in hightened levels. If they retreat without disappearing completely you are getting close to a good balance.
And e.g. in tanks that are not yet over a year old you will see always similar changes in algae coming and going one after the other.

The only ones where you should act are only looking like algae but are not: Cyanobacteria. If these turn up you have to act as they can make a whole tank inhospitable.

bettasXD

The only ones where you should act are only looking like algae but are not: Cyanobacteria. If these turn up you have to act as they can make a whole tank inhospitable.
The algea in my tank is mostly green and there is some brown algea. Definitely no Cyanobacteria. Thanks for the remainder though :)

Azedenkae

Can I just leave the algea in my tank? Is it necessarily bad? It just keeps on growing back after I clean it. My tank is a 6 gallon tank with a plakat betta in it.
Algae is generally not bad for fish, just unsightly.

It can only be bad if it grows so much that it actually suffocates the fish by depleting oxygen.

Some algae can release toxins into the water and kill fish, but that's rarer.

ProudPapa

. . . It can only be bad if it grows so much that it actually suffocates the fish by depleting oxygen.
Please explain. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am puzzled.

MacZ

It can only be bad if it grows so much that it actually suffocates the fish by depleting oxygen.

Some algae can release toxins into the water and kill fish, but that's rarer.
Actual algae don't do that, the aforementioned cyanobacteria are the ones you are referring to. ;)
Some smear algae (a type of cyanobacteria) can form matts of green slime covering the surface, preventing gasexchange into the water below. That's what's happening to the Baltic Sea often in summer.

Tigerburp

As long as there isn’t a total algae bloom which can compete plants for nutrients,you are good

Azedenkae

Please explain. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am puzzled.
While we tend to think algae just consumes carbon dioxide and produces oxygen, they also respire like all other organisms - consuming oxygen in the process. During the day the two processes can balance themselves out, or in fact oxygen production outstrips oxygen consumption.

At night however, photosynthesis does not occur, but respiration still does. So now all the algae will just deplete oxygen, and can do so very rapidly.

Bare in mind I am not saying it definitely happen, just that it can.

I think this describes the problem better than I can: https://www.lsu.edu/seagrantfish/resources/factsheets/algae.htm

bettasXD

As long as there isn’t a total algae bloom which can compete plants for nutrients,you are good
I don’t have any love plants so I won’t have to worry about algae competing for food with the plants.
While we tend to think algae just consumes carbon dioxide and produces oxygen, they also respire like all other organisms - consuming oxygen in the process. During the day the two processes can balance themselves out, or in fact oxygen production outstrips oxygen consumption.

At night however, photosynthesis does not occur, but respiration still does. So now all the algae will just deplete oxygen, and can do so very rapidly.

Bare in mind I am not saying it definitely happen, just that it can.

I think this describes the problem better than I can: Louisiana Fisheries - Fact Sheets
Should I be worried about it? Will the betta be ok?(since it also can breathe air)

Right now, my tank is near the window and there is nowhere else that I can put it. I am moving soon so I will try to place the tank away from the window. One more thing, if I place the tank away from the window, it will be less bright. Will I need to get another light especially for the tank? Someone said that the light was too bright so I don’t use it anymore.

MacZ

I don’t have any love plants so I won’t have to worry about algae competing for food with the plants.
I am moving soon so I will try to place the tank away from the window.
Wait, you have no live plants? That changes the whole situation. Please add some easy, fast growers like salvinia, waterweeds, hornwort or pennywort (all of them can float and don't need special lighting, a mere desk lamp is enough for them. The tank will benefit from live plants massively.

bettasXD

Wait, you have no live plants? That changes the whole situation. Please add some easy, fast growers like salvinia, waterweeds, hornwort or pennywort (all of them can float and don't need special lighting, a mere desk lamp is enough for them. The tank will benefit from live plants massively.
Ok I will thank you

MacZ

Yeah, but a slowgrower that has little impact on water quality unless used in big amounts from the start.

inari

Personally,
I don't mind some algae, but I usually just knock off the places I don't want it. that's just me though...

ProudPapa

Personally,
I don't mind some algae, but I usually just knock off the places I don't want it. that's just me though...

I agree about algae on the glass. I remove it on the front, and maybe one side, depending on the location of the tank, and leave the rest. However, stuff like hair algae is a different situation. I want it gone as much as possible.

Azedenkae

Should I be worried about it? Will the betta be ok?(since it also can breathe air)
Should be fine regardless tbh.

bettasXD

Thanks everyone who has replied.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
Avectasi
  • Question
  • Crimson_687